Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I dont know if this is normal

• Please log in to reply

damancy

damancy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
When i look at my processes in task manager, i see multiple instances of a program call svchost.exe running

infact i got 6 of them running. 3 from system, 2 from networkservice and 1from local service

this this normal at all?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, this is quite normal for XP. i usually have 4 to 8 instances is svchost running on my XP computer at any given moment.

The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services part of the registry to construct a list of services that it must load. Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services. Therefore, separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This grouping of services allows for better control and easier debugging.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314056

Vista does this differently as i can find only one instance of svchost running on this laptop computer in task manager.

SRX660