Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange internet problems

• Please log in to reply

oaasis123

oaasis123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey ladies and gents, hows things? I seem to be having a problem when I surf the net. OK say I log on to the net and I am surfing away for about 30-40mins it seems that the browser 'hangs' on me. Say I am on a sports website and I am done reading so say I type in bebo in the address bar...nothing happens(using Firefox by the way)in the bottom left corner it says 'waiting for bebo.com' but it will stay like that for about 10mins. So I close firefox and start it up again and the homepage does not even load. Same applies to IE7. Im running my laptop on a wireless connection. My PC has no problems using the same connection!! So I doubt it is an ISP problem. So I restart the comp which takes about 15mins(strange aswell so it is) a couple of times I have to do the dreaded hold in the power button, which I hate to do!!!! this is my second time trying to post this lol.

OK I have a HP Compaq Presario C700 Notebook running Vista Home Premium SP1. Intel Pentium Dual Core 1.46GHz and 1GB RAM. 32bit Operating system aswell.

Virus checks have come up clean using avast. AVG comes up clean aswell, apart from some spyware that shows up but it is removed. I'm sure soemthing has to be nesting in the system somewhere!!

I dont really know what to do, it just started doing this about 2 weeks ago!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You do know that some people put links to programs in the cookies that you download from websites. They also put registry entries that start up your internet connection and search fro a certain websites. That would cause your delays in the system. I would delete all cookies manually just to see if the problem goes away, or you start getting error messages about can't find certain programs. Set your cookies size limit to the lowest you can( mines at 10 MB). I have even had to use move-on-boot to get rid of some cookies.

SRX660

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

You do know that some people put links to programs in the cookies that you download from websites. They also put registry entries that start up your internet connection and search fro a certain websites. That would cause your delays in the system. I would delete all cookies manually just to see if the problem goes away, or you start getting error messages about can't find certain programs. Set your cookies size limit to the lowest you can( mines at 10 MB). I have even had to use move-on-boot to get rid of some cookies.
SRX660

Cookies are text files and that is all they are in a nutshell, sent back to the server when you visit that site again.
Cookies are not malicious, cookies do not link to or download anything from anywhere. A lack of cookies on a computer is irrelevant to missing programs.
The OP's problems are more likely to be caused by a browser problem, an ISP problem or even possibly an issue with the wireless device in the router or the wireless device on the laptop. Try wiring it and see what happens.

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I had an issue like this and had to update the firmware on my router to fix it, and after that I had no problems. Hope that helps!
-Matt