Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB hd unaccessible

• Please log in to reply

hellsbells

hellsbells

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello People!

I have a problem I haven't been able to solve, so I thought I would let the forum see if they could help me. I have a amd xp 1200 cpu, 768mb ram, 20gb HD, 80gb HD, 250gb usb HD, biostar geforce fx5200 video card, running xp pro 2002, sp2. I recently installed this video card and now I can't read my usb hd. (I also upgraded to firefox 3, but don't think this is the problem) I upgraded all my drivers and reinstalled everything but still no usb HD. It works fine with my old cirrus logic 2mb video card but when new card is installed it doesn't want to work. (old card was pci and new card is agp if it matters) External drive shows up in my computer but can't access it because of an I/O error. Device manager shows everything is fine. I have tried new drivers, old drivers, installing, reinstalling bios upgrade and everthing else I could think of but the usb hd is inaccessible with the new video card. Any suggestions or advice is deeply appreciated!!!

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
The only thing I can think of off hand is that it's trying to share an irq and something doesn't like it.... As I recall irq's were often shared by the usb and the agp slot on the older boards but they didnt' do it well....

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
This is a long shot. A veryyyyyy long shot. I have no reason for this what so ever other than some conflict. But try assigning the drive its own drive letter in computer management.

hellsbells

hellsbells

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the replies!! I did try the obvious and the long shots but didn't get anywhere. Maybe agp slot or video card is faulty. The card was only 20 bucks so I really don't expect too much but I do expect it to work without conflicting with other devices!

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well as I said my guess would be an irq conflict does your computer give the device/irq list on boot up? some do. If not you could try going into the setup and looking there to see if you can change irq's around... if so you MIGHT be able to get usb and agp on seperate irq's.

like I said some of the older systems really had issues with that... one possible solution might be a usb card...