Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What makes boot up slow?

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please do the following: (For downloads use links from the list below).

1: Download HD Tune and under Benchmarking run a complete performance test. Please report Average data transfer for the entire test.

2: Go to Device Manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Right click the Primary IDE channel and choose to uninstall it. Reboot and let Windows reload the driver. Repeat the procedure with Secondary IDE channel.

3: Following step no. 2 run HD Tune again and report the results as you did in step no. 1.

4: Press ctr+alt+del to enter task manager. Under Performance tab look for "physical memory". Please report Total and Available.

5: Enter "My Computer", right-click drive C: and then Properties. Please report Capacity and Free Space of your hard disk (each partition, if you have more then one).

Notes:

1: The advice given to post in the malware forum is a good one. However, since it can take quite sometime to clean the computer, and at the present there is no clear indication for malware, I would recommend that you run the above procedures beforehand. If not successful, post in the malware forum.

2: The computer(s) can certainly be repaired and there is no need to consider replacement.

Advertisements

Louise's Dad

Louise's Dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Many thanks will have to do this tomorrow now - incidentally I just ran a scan (on someone's advice - Smithfraudfix) in Safe Mode and the boot up was phenomenally quick - I realise it would be but does that give any clues?

As usual thanks for your help

Rob (Louise's Dad)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Smithfraudfix, like some other malware removal tools, should be used carefully because they can create many problems. In Geeks to Go all malware removal is guided by the helpers in the Malware forum. This is done with the purpose of running a logical, expert supervised, removal process which aims to clean the computer fast and without side effects (this is not always possible but surely they will do it better then non-experts).

Louise's Dad

Louise's Dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi

I got so excited I decided to have a go right now.

Okay I did everything as suggested but there is a potential minor 'but' - the first time I got rid of IDE 1 and rebooted it said it had found hardware and then when happy told me to reboot to make sure it worked okay which I did. I then did same on IDE 2 but didn't get that option when I rebooted it so scanned straight from there - hope that was okay - here's the results:

1) 42MB/sec
2) 23.5MB/sec (very different looking graph)
3) Physical Total = 260080 and Physical Available approx 58000 (+/- 300)
4) C drive capacity is 71.4 GB and free space is 49GB

Regards

Rob

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you mean that transfer rate after uninstallation of IDE drivers is slower then before you did it?

Regardless of the present problems you have very limited memory in your computer at 256 MB out of which only 58 MB is free. I would certainly recommend adding an extra RAM module of at least 512 MB (together you will have about 750 MB). Ram modules are very cheap right now. If you consider this positively and are not sure what to buy you can go into Crucial's web site and run the tool that tells you which modules fit your computer.

Louise's Dad

Louise's Dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Yes that is correct it was definitely slower the second time around, however as it gives an average that may skew things. In the first run it was pretty consistent in that the average line could have been y=-mx+c (straight line negative slope). In the second run it was all over the place to start with (low) and then seemed to 'recover' but still would have been less or equal at best.

I will try to run it again tomorrow and see what happens.

I would not have a clue how to add RAM to my PC!

Thanks

Rob

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The negative slope of the test is normal. Usually the graph starts with wild fluctuations and high readings and then stabilize more or less, down-sloping slowly, moderating downwards peaks. Please note that the speed can be slowed down by other running processes such as program automatic updates, malware scans etc. To make sure what the driver's situation is please do the following:

Go to the same place in device manager, ide/atapi drivers. Double click, in turn, each of the primary and secondary drivers and click Advanced Settings. Please report Transfer Mode and Current Transfer Mode for Device 0 and Device 1.

Regarding adding memory: This can improve the performance of the computer considerably. Could you tell us what computer you have (make and model)? If it's a non-brand name could you tell us the make and model of the motherboard? If you can't, download and install Everest from the link in my list of links below. Click "motherboard" and then click SPD. Report Module Type, Memory Type and Memory Speed.

Louise's Dad

Louise's Dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi Skeptic

Okay done that and readings as follows:

IDE 1 0) DMA if available
Ultra DMA Mode 5

1) Auto detection
DMA if available

IDE 2 0) DMA if available
Ultra DMA Mode 2

1) Auto detection
DMA if availableD

The PC is a Dell Dimension 1100 (and is about 2.5 years old I think).

I notice that the available memory is a bit higher today but only 70MB (although it peaked at 90 one time). I did this same check on my own PC which works well and noticed that the percentage available is much much higher than on my daughter's so perhaps the RAM diagnosis is correct.

Do I need to run the HD tune again?

Regards

Rob

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The IDE drivers are fine and there is nothing to change. Regarding the memory: from what I see it's a DDR 333 module (pc 2700). Please run Everest as suggested before. That will help us make sure about what to recommend.

Please note: you cannot compare the performance of two computers without considering their components. Your daughter's computer has minimal memory and a Celeron D cpu which is very good for simple tasks but has inferior performance when compared to Pentium 4 of the same speed, not to mention more modern cpu's. Adding more memory will add to the computer's performance without costing too much.

Louise's Dad

Louise's Dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Sorry in all the excitement I didn't read the Everest thing - I did visit the Crucial site which told me that even my PC could do with a boot up the backside but it wouldn't recognise my daughter's PC so have run Everest and results are:

Module Type - Unbuffered
Memory Type - DDR SRAM
Memory Speed - PC3200 (200MHZ)

Are we getting close? I can feel a donation coming on!

Regards

Rob

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You should buy a module of 512MB of a well reputed memory maker. The sellers should be happy to help you. The specs should be DDR400 (which equals pc3200). If you worry about doing the job yourself (it's quite simple, actually) and if the shop has a lab, take the computer with you and ask them to install the module. For a little extra money and 10 minutes you will have it installed and running. If they offer you to buy a 1 Gig module and the price is acceptable to you (it will be much less then double) go for it. Memory modules are so cheap today that it's hard to believe.

Louise's Dad

Louise's Dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Okay I will get this sorted out - I managed to put the wireless card in and I believe it is no harder than that. If it works then I will upgrade the other PCs too I think.

Will report back.

Regards

Rob

Louise's Dad

Louise's Dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Well I was brave and went and bought some RAM and decided to load it myself which wasn't difficult (although I almost cocked it up).

The best bit was on reboot it said 'Memory increased' or something so I knew it was working.

There is no doubt it is a lot quicker but the boot up is still slow - I think this is to do with msnmessanger which comes up. I ran msconfig and unchecked it at start up but when it reboots there is always this message about the fact I have reconfigured the start up - perhaps I should just check 'don't show me this message again?' (but it seems to always revert to check everything for start up?).

One last thing any idea how to get the screen to synch with the tower on shutdown to avoid the psychedelic light show after shutdown (or is that a new idea?!!!)

Thanks

Rob

Louise's Dad

Louise's Dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
F**k me I have done it!!!!!

Have cleared the issue of unwanted start ups and managed to get the screen working now.

I am rocking, in fact I was thinking about offering my services to GTG :)

Thanks for your help and patience much appreciated, and to anyone reading this who is a numpty like me on PCs then believe me if I can do it so can you - and you will learn so much.

BTW I checked the physical memory (!.3GB now)!

Regards

Rob

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
look at next post.

Edited by The Skeptic, 11 July 2008 - 12:53 PM.