Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Problem

• Please log in to reply

brettxw

brettxw

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
I can go into the sound settings and play the tests on both sound settings but when I run Winamp or WMP..I can only use one set of speakers. I know the other set is working because the test sounds work through windows. I've tried the different jacks and all the same problem? Any ideas?

Advertisements

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Hi brettxw

When you say sound settings, which settings are those?

Windows own or those for your soundcard?

For instance. I have Realtek sound. And if settings there is 2 speakers, I can try
change to 4 as much as I would like in windows own, it would still use the settings in the
Realtek settings.

So you might have to check that settings both places, windows and soundcard, are
set to 4 or more speakers.

-Abydos

Edited by Abydos, 11 July 2008 - 06:47 PM.

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Hi brettxw

When you say sound settings, which settings are those?

Windows own or those for your soundcard?

For instance. I have Realtek sound. And if settings there is 2 speakers, I can try
change to 4 as much as I would like in windows own, it would still use the settings in the
Realtek settings.

So you might have to check that settings both places, windows and soundcard, are
set to 4 or more speakers.

-Abydos

Hmm. Good point. Ive been doing it in the Realtek Audio settings. I have it set to Quadraphonic or whatever it is called and all 4 speakers (with subs) work. BUT, I'll go to winamp..Only one set of speakers work.

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Ok, windows sound is also set to quadraphonic..tests work..BUT once again, when playing music, Winamp, WMP, only one set of speakers play sound.

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Are the settings set to stereo?? If yes, it will only use 2 speakers no matter what.
You need to use the surround sound setting, to ensure it uses all available speakers.

-Abydos

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Are the settings set to stereo?? If yes, it will only use 2 speakers no matter what.
You need to use the surround sound setting, to ensure it uses all available speakers.

-Abydos

No, they are set to quadraphonic.

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
In Winamp that is. There should be a setting to allow surround sound instead of playing it
in stereo...Sorry for not including the winamp in previous post :)

Been awhile since I used Winamp, using Foobar, so can't remember where you
can find the setting.

-Abydos

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

In Winamp that is. There should be a setting to allow surround sound instead of playing it
in stereo...Sorry for not including the winamp in previous post :)

Been awhile since I used Winamp, using Foobar, so can't remember where you
can find the setting.

-Abydos

I have "allow surround sound enable" and still nothing. Its aggervating me haha. Im about to throw the PC out the window!!

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Hmm, at a loss here now myself :)

Maybe someone else will have some input.

A last ditch effort could be to try un-install the
real-tek sound drivers and see if windows own
drivers can get the job done. Other than, I can't
add anything else.

-Abydos