Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU overclocks itself. Can't enter BIOS. Mostly black screens.

• Please log in to reply

taru

taru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The computer is open, as I have always treated my desktops since high school. I regularly blow dust away using air canisters (or, more recently an air compressor).

This psu that I'm using now doesn't have a fan facing inside... the other one does, but it's 100w stronger than this one. Though I do have an electric fan that's always on whenever I'm using the computer. It helps circulate the air in the room when the AC is not turned on—although I don't think that's what The Skeptic meant.

Thanks stettybet0, I might actually just try that out. I'll go ahead and measure the dimensions of the case to see if it will fit. Oh, and I used Arctic Silver thermal compound with this one... would that work with the heatsink you mentioned? Or would OCZ Freeze work best?

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Arctic Silver 5 (AS5) is a good thermal compound, but stuff like OCZ Freeze and MX-2 will outperform it by a few degrees. They also have the benefit of being non-electrically conductive, while AS5 is electrically conductive. So, if you spill a little AS5 on your motherboard and don't completely wipe it all up, you could short out your motherboard and kill it. That's why I always recommend OCZ Freeze and MX-2. However, unless you really want those few degrees, you should probably save your money and stick with AS5, as long as you're very careful with it.