Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown Hardware in Device Manager

• Please log in to reply

MossGeek

MossGeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

I'm happy to give you detailed instructions for doing this if you wish but I would need to know which CPU you have and possibly the socket type (i.e LGA775/478/AM2/939 etc). You would also need to purchase some Arctic Silver 5 or very similar high grade thermal paste & something to clean the old compound off with (i.e either Arctic Silver Arcticlean or isopropyl alcohol).

Any help would be great, I was watching a video done on youtube or somewhere else on how to apply it but I wasn't quite sure if it was the best technique. always happy to learn something new. You mentioned Arctic Silver 5, I had previously gone out and purchased Super Lube Silicone Heat Sink Compound.
http://www.super-lube.com but I will go and look for this Arctic Silver 5:)

I am in need of pasting another cpu and heatsink together as well for my other board, that I am rebuilding. This board I am talking about in the thread I have no clue on the cpu and/or the socket type. In fact i dont know what you mean when you do refer to socket type:( Could you explain or give me some further details about that?

About my above statement, I think I might correct myself, I am going to use the other cpu as an example that I will be using the thermal paste for a different heatsink. Since I have that cpu sitting in front of me currently...

Intel
Pentium 4
3.40Ghz/512/800 <-----
SL793 MALAY <----- I'm guessing this line and part of the one above might be what you meant by socket?
L348A903 <----- can you let me know if I was correct with this guess or not? Like I said just using this one as an example
so when I do go home and check the other I know what I am looking for.

When you check the CPU temps, do you also get a cpu fan speed reading? If so, what is it & does it fluctuate much?

Not really I only checked it in BIOS the once...it turned on and the temp was @ 70

When I boot into windows the temp if sitting idel will usually be around 57 degrees, and when surfing reach up closer to like 74 before I leave it to sit and go back to idle and chill for a bit.

For cleaning the older compound I have some stuff that I used for other before that is not a problem and if not the local store has some Iso I can get my hands on for the job.

Edited by MossGeek, 14 August 2008 - 09:08 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
SL793 is the sSpec number which identifies the cpu & is the only information needed. This not the same as the socket type as such but it does allow you to determine the socket type. To be honest, the socket type itself is not important - it just helps me to identify the type of processor you have if you don't know the sSpec number for example.

According to Intel, your cpu is a single core socket 478 which means it will have a silver heatspreader on top. The following instructions therefore are just for single core Intel cpu's with heatspreaders:

First clean the underside of the heatsink and the top of the cpu to remove the old compound. I highly recommend you wear latex gloves throughout this process, especially when apply the new compound. To remove the old stuff, you must use isopropyl alcohol or a specially formulated remover & a lint free cloth. I recommend either a paper coffee filter or (don't laugh) a sanitary towel.

Once cleaned, do not touch either of the 2 surfaces as you are likely to transfer grease or dirt to them.

Place the cpu back in the motherboard, then place a tiny blob of thermal paste onto the top of the cpu in the middle of the heatspreader. The blob should be about the size of an uncooked grain of rice.

Lower the heatsink straight down on top of the cpu. Twist it slight left & right to squeeze out any trapped air, then fix in place with the latches.

Re. temperatures - can you try using Speedfan in windows? This should give you a fan speed reading.

Speedfan