Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG will not let me in

• Please log in to reply

roacham

roacham

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Hope this is the right place. I have put the new version of AVG on all my computers in the house. Well, ever since I have done this, I can not get in to access my credit cards website. I have called the CC company they walked me through many steps which did not work. They advised me to call Microsoft who said it was my firewall. How can I access my CC online? I can bring it up at any of my friends house because they do not have the newest version of AVG, but I need to do this at home. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
What version of avg do you have?
What do you have for a firewall?
Have you checked your firewall settings for it blocking your CC site?

Have you uninstalled the avg and tried to get to the cc site? This is to actually see if avg is the problem.

roacham

roacham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Thanks for replying. I have the AVG 8. I have 3 computers and when I updated all 3 of them from 7.5 to 8 is when I could no longer access the website. I can get to the point of my sitekey and when I click submit from there it goes to a page that says Internet Explorer can not display the webpage. I have tried on Mozilla firefox as well. One computer is Vista, the other 2 are XP. All have the windows firewall. I have checked everything I could think of to make sure it is not blocked. I have also added it as a trusted site. I can go to a friends house and it works just fine.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts

Have you uninstalled the avg and tried to get to the cc site? This is to actually see if avg is the problem.

roacham

roacham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Hmmm, I just uninstalled AVG and installed with Avast on this computer and I still can not get on the site. I just don't understand what else it could be that is affecting all 3 computers. Any ideas?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Try to disable the firewall and see if it makes any difference. If not, re-enable it.

2: In Internet explorer go to Tools > Internet Options:

In "General" tab: delete history.

In "Security": click each of the four options and set to default level.

In "Privacy": set to default. If still not good try to lower privacy level temporarily and see if it makes any difference.

In "Content": clear SSL state.

In "Advanced": restore advanced settings.

If still not good: In "Programs" go to Manage Add-ons and disable them. Do it one at a time and see if it makes any difference. If you find one that caused the problem leave it disabled and enable the others.

roacham

roacham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Thanks for the help. I have tried everything and made it half-way through the manage add-ons. Nothing has worked yet but I'm going to try the other half tomorrow. I've got to get some sleep. I'll be back in touch tomorrow.

roacham

roacham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
OK guys. I think I may have figured it out. After trying a bunch of manage add-ons and nothing working, I started thinking. What do all the computers have in common besides AVG (which they no longer all have in common). I came up with the router connecting them. I thought I have already tried hooking up my modem directly to the desktop, but thought I would try again. It actually let me in. It is still not acting completely right but it did let me in. Hopefully the problem is resolved. Thanks for all your help.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I honestly don't understand how AVG 8.0 can block an IP in the router while AVG 7.5 allows it. But then, there are lots of things which I don't know.

If the router is involved then probably the IP of your bank account is blocked by it's firewall and must be excepted. Anyway, thanks for letting us know.