Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system password

• Please log in to reply

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Ummmm search for the Sysinternals program Autologin. Run it, and disable the automatic login.

Advertisements

jcham504

jcham504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
How do I find autologin. I did a search from the start menu and found nothing. Could you give me some directions.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Sorry, I meant Google. I didn't have the chance to do it at work, so you can find it here. clicky

jcham504

jcham504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
All is well and problems you fixed in this topic are all working fine. Sorry about the double post at the beginning. I first posted to the wrong forum, but didn't know how to get rid of it. Glad I found you by the second post though. I have one last problem on this machine that I am stumped with. I can't get windows autoupdate to work. I have tried though windows security screen and in control panel at the system section. the area where I can activate autoupdate is greyed out. Which forum should I go to for help. Again thanks for all the help.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Did you get the login problem taken care of, and if so, how?

Go to Start > Run, type in services.msc, and see if you can find the Windows Update service in this list. It should show a status (Running, Stopped), and a startup type (Automatic, Disabled, Manual). What is Windows Update currently set to? Can you right-click it and select Start Service?

jcham504

jcham504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
i downloaded and ran autologin and stopped it now alls ok. I ran services.msc. I don't have Windows Update service in the list.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Duh - neither do I.

Hah how about Automatic Updates?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
To fix windows updates download Dial-A-Fix from my list of links. install and open the program. in WU/WUAU check Fix Windows Updates. Other boxes will be checked on automatically. That's OK. Click GO and let the repair process run.

jcham504

jcham504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
The dial a fix did the trick. I want to thank you all for all your help. This is the neatest place to resolve problems on the net. Thank you all.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Our pleasure.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Good to hear you got everything resolved!

Skeptic, way to bring this thread full circle! :)