Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista BSOD when booting

• Please log in to reply

meekayx

meekayx

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently Build a new machine and when i went to go put all my games (from my external) such as WoW and Steam games it was fine for about a week. when I boot it up in the morning it went ok then Bam BSOD so I tryed again and nothing the boot manager asked me if I wanted to boot normally or last good config i did that and the same result. I go back to the boot manager and it said to fix this problem re-insert your Windows disk and go to the repair utility and it said for the reason for it was hardware or software. I've done this 4 times so far were I have to use the repair utility, idk whats up i havent used any registry cleaners or anything.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
To disable automatic rebooting:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Now when you go to shut down and a fatal error occurs, you'll at least see it and it won't cause an automatic reboot. You still have to sort out what's causing the problem.

Stop Errors are here.

http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.php

Something else you should do is go into your event viewer and see what error messages you have there.

Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, then click Administrative Tools, and then click Computer Management. Double click the Event Viewer shortcut. The Application, Security, and System logs are displayed in the Event Viewer window. Look at the system log first.

In the details pane, double-click the event that you want to view.

The Event Properties dialog box containing header information and a description of the event is displayed.

To copy the details of the event, click the Copy button, then open a new document in the program in which you want to paste the event (for example, Microsoft Word), and then click Paste on the Edit menu.

To view the description of the previous or next event, click the UP ARROW or DOWN ARROW.

Look at these 2 areas first in the event properties.

Event ID

An event number that identifies the event type. The Event ID can be used by product support representatives to help understand what occurred in the system.

Source

The source of the event. This can be the name of a program, a system component, or an individual component of a large program.

Looking them up on google searches will give you the most information.

I have had quite a few problems with older games on Vista. I have ended up havint a XP computer to play these games because i was getting Crashes and Lockups while playing the games. Too bad that Windows seems to be getting worse as they try to modify XP for more sales.

SRX660