Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MY VPN KEEPS DROPPING

• Please log in to reply

cradl

cradl

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
What would cause my work vpn to keep dropping. I use to have a wired connection at my old house now I'm wireless and I don't use a hard connection although I could but have a different modem and router (LINKSYS MODEM AND BELKIN ROUTER). Now i have a modem router combo (NETGEAR CG814GCMR)but I loose my vpn client about every hour to 2 but my connection signal is still strong and dont drop the internet.
Any help???
Thanks.

Advertisements

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
what vpn client are you using? maybe it's a nat issue.

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
It is the one my work gave me on my new laptop? Does this sound right? IPSEC NAT TRAVERSAL. Otherwise I will look to see if I can find it more than likly get back to you in the morning.
Thanks for the quick reply.

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Contivity VPN Client, NORTEL Networks. Does This Help? Also I was wondering if you could look at my other post a couple post down (Need To Extend range of divice)

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
You started experiencing problems when you changed routers right? Did you have port forwarding configured on your previous router?

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
No and I tried it again tonight wireless and it disconected after 2 hours then hard wired it and it has not lost conection after 4 hours??

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
1. are there any error messages being given?
2. when you're not using the vpn software, do you experience any problems using a wired connection? how about wireless?

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
No problems or errors it just seems to drop the vpn when I'm wireless. otherwise wired or wirless the net works good. Even when it drops vpn I still have a wireless connection to the net.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
OK. I'm suggesting that you reinstall your vpn client. Before you do this, let's do a system first to make sure we don't lose anything. If you don't know how to do a system restore:

Through the All Programs menu:
1. Click Start.
2. Point to All Programs.
3. Point to Accessories.
4. Point to System Tools.
5. Click System Restore.
6. Follow the instructions on the wizard.

Creating a restore point can be useful any time you anticipate making changes to your computer that are risky or might make your computer unstable. If something goes wrong, you select the restore point you just created and Windows XP undoes any system changes made since that time.

Create a Restore Point (note: creating a restore point will require your pc to be restarted afterwards)

1. Open System Restore. (See step-by-step instructions above.)
2. Click Create a restore point, and then click Next.
3. In the Restore point description box, type a name to identify this restore point. System Restore automatically adds the date and time that this Restore Point is created.

After creating the restore point, uninstall your vpn client and reinstall it.

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Ok I will reinstall my VPN on fri. But I'm under the asumption that it is my router because anywhere I go for wireless at other places it does not drop. I have a Netgear 54 MBPS WIRELESS CABLE MODEM GATEWAY - #CG834WG. I also tried wired and it doesn't drop as much but still does.

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Ok did that and worked for a liitle bit but after a week it started dropping again. What next???

AlfredWhitley

AlfredWhitley

• Pip
  • 1 posts

@cradl, Ask your VPN service provider, I am also using the same Netgear CG814GCMR Wireless Cable Modem with ExpressVPN to bypass isp throttling and it's working fine.

Edit by phillpower2: Removed external link. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts

Don`t expect you will get a reply AlfredWhitley as cradl has not been around the forums for over six years and the above request for help was post 10+ years ago.