Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Maintaining your Machine

* * * * * 8 votes

• Please log in to reply

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
It's just letting you know that changes were made as far as what programs were starting up. You can choose to turn that notification off if you are happy with the changes.

Advertisements

rilee16

rilee16

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thank you.

korhinta

korhinta

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

3. Many programs on start-up
Having many programs in the startup will slow your computer down. Taking out programs that aren't necessary on startup will reduce the resource requirements on boot and will generally make the PC run faster. To remove programs from your startup list, follow the instructions below.

XP Users:

• Open Start Menu and select "Run..."
  • In the run box type: msconfig and press enter.
  • A window will appear, go to the Startup tab.
  • In the startup tab, disable tick boxes on all the programs that don't necessarily need to be started at boot.

first of all, thanks for the guide :)

i did what you describe above and, after rebooting, i consecutively got the two popups i have attached...

is that normal/ok? which one do i select?

Attached Files

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello there!

Fitst off. I'm glad you like the guide. :)

The first popup you're talking about can easily be turned off by ticking the box in the message. And that should prevent the second one from showing alltogether.

Regards,
Olrik

korhinta

korhinta

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
thanks again :) was worried i'd done something wrong...

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Nah, that always happens after changes in msconfig.
Glad I could help! :thumbsup:

Regards,
Olrik

Draconian

Draconian

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Lot of good information here. Getting the right programs like ATF cleaner and jkdefrag are half the battle from what I gather. Personally used CCleaner for quite a while until the registry cleaner part told me I had two files that needed to be deleted after which I lost the use of my CD RW and DVD drives. Had to fix that so I'm glad to use the ATF. Super easy to use!

I have a question regarding the 3rd item in the list regarding multiple programs in the start up sequence. When I go to the tab "Start up" I see a list of gibberish that I totally don't understand. How the heck do us average joes figure out what's what here? It's not really a list of programs to select from like the windows start up folder.

Edited by Draconian, 17 July 2012 - 01:29 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

I have a question regarding the 3rd item in the list regarding multiple programs in the start up sequence. When I go to the tab "Start up" I see a list of gibberish that I totally don't understand. How the heck do us average joes figure out what's what here? It's not really a list of programs to select from like the windows start up folder.

This is quite tricky. If you don't know what programs to remove from that list, I'd say make a post in the appropriate OS forum and ask for help there. Posting up a list with everything you got there can be helpful for the people that are assisting you :)

I say this because there is no 'rule of thumb' in this. Some programs you might want disabled. Others you want to leave enabled, but it's different for each PC.

Regards,
Olrik