Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Too Much RAM/Memory for Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Daren

Daren

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm currently using a Toshiba Satellite that was handed down. I want to give it at least 1gb of RAM. The only problem is that the specs call for a maximum of 1gb, although there is no way I can match that number precisely. I'd either have to go over the limit (which would be 1.125gb) or under with 640mb total, which is something I'm already doing.

Is there any danger in over RAMifying the computer? Is too much ram something the laptop cannot handle?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Realistically if a machine is able to handle 1Gb of mem it'll be possible to do it by multiple sticks, typically 2 x 512mb. I've never heard of a laptop that states it can take 1Gb of memory but not provide enough slots to match it.
Do you have the model number, the series and the short model number please? These can be found on the bottom of the laptop.

Team Toshiba

Team Toshiba

• Pip
  • 3 posts
If you know the exact make and model number, you might want to scope out www.crucial.com/uk/ to see what exactly you can fit in your Satellite. Hope that helps.
Toshiba Response Team
www.laptopexperts.net