Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help booting a laptop via PXE

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Glad you found some cheap ones, Thats a pretty standard caddy.
Of course once you have it installed the other screws will show up.
Have you loaded xp via the desktop ?
Cheers
Peterm

Advertisements

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Hi, sorry for the delay... had a bit of a busy week with exams and stuff.

I didn't need to load XP via the desktop, I just put the hard disk in, plugged in the CD-ROM drive and let it install as normal. I've no idea why it worked this time and wouldn't the last. Weird.

The laptop is now up and running, working better than ever!

Also, Windows XP SP3 is running on it; I didn't install it, my mum did. I left her with a USB flash drive that I'd made before the first hard disk failed and told her to just double-click on everything in there. I was heading out at the time and I forgot that the XP SP3 installer was on there, so she installed it. I only realised a few days later when I was asking her how everything went and she said that one took a while to install -- XP SP3.

So yeah, we were lucky. I wonder why it didn't cause any problems this time. I was wondering, do you think it will cause problems in future? Would it be best if I uninstall it?

Thanks,

Michael.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Michael
Glad it all works. If sp3 is working then leave it.(read rule 4)
Service packs and updates are a weird thing you can have 2 computers built to the same specs
and if you install an update or a service pack one will give trouble and the other one will run fine.
It could just be the 1st drive did not work with sp3.
Does the external cd drive work now?

Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 24 January 2009 - 03:01 PM.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Yeah, it works fine. It was weird, the external CD-ROM drive never actually stopped working -- it worked when it was hooked up to my laptop or the desktop -- it was just that her laptop wouldn't 'see' it was there.

Ah, rule 4... if it's not broken, don't fix it? Right? That's exactly why we weren't installing XP SP3 in the first place :)

Thanks for all the help, I'll let you know if there's any problems with it. :)