Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What the... Vista?

• Please log in to reply

darko2021

darko2021

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
So I recently bought a new asus fn8 laptop with vista 32 pre installed. Up until this point I have actually really enjoyed Vista because my laptop has enough under the hood to handle the new os. Tonight I turned on the laptop after I got home from work and waited...and waited...and waited. The entire time watching the little green dots on the load screen make their way from left to right as if that were some indication of progress. Five minutes later I realized that this was just giving me false hope and I restarted my computer. When it restarted I got a message saying that windows was unable to start up and gave me a few options. Since then I have run a diagnostic on the memory (which showed no problems although I couldn't view the report because when it restarted it just went back to the load screen), and I did a system restore to the 8th. After doing so I am now still faced with the load screen. I have not done anything (that I know of) to my computer in the last few days, and things were working fine this morning. does any one have any suggestions? I am typing this on my desktop because I obviously can't even get on my laptop which is also why there is no hijack this log. What should I do? My specs are as follows,
Asus laptop
pentium core 2 duo 2.25ghz
4gigs of ram
ATI 3650hd with 1gig of dedicated ram
2X200 gigs of hard disk space.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Do you have ANY USB devices plugged in?
Can you boot in to safe mode?
Do you have a copy of Windows Vista on DVD? (not the recovery disc, a copy of Vista).
Do you know of any changes made? (hardware and software)

darko2021

darko2021

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
ok so I started it up this morning and everything seems to be ok. Still I am worried that something is wrong.To answer your questions no there are no usb devices plugged in, I have not installed anything new in the last 3 days, I have not changed any hardware, I only have the vista recovery cd that comes with the computer, and I can boot into safe mode now. Should I post a hijack this log? It doesn't make sence to me that everything seems fine now. Thanks for your help.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
In this new window, select Event Viewer.
It might have been an update or something installing that took some time or hung. Have a look around in the various logs like Information, Audit success/failure, Warning etc for anything recent around the time you shutdown the computer before it didn't start, and the time you couldn't load past the splash screen.

I don’t think there is a need to post a Hijack This log as it does not sound Malware related.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
What has happened,
Your computer downloaded some updates from Microsoft,
When the computer was restarted the updates where being installed (the spinning circle)
You shut off the computer, interupting the install,
The computer kept trying to install the updates,
The updates where installed and the computer started normaly.