Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC will not boot

• Please log in to reply

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi again JT, sorry for the delay I had alot to do yesterday and wasnt able to get online

Ive checked my PC, and all as it says is that its a Packard Bell I Media. Im not exactly sure on how to check the model number, I did have a look all around it, but I couldnt see anything that said 'model number'

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Usually the model number is right on the front somewhere, at least, that's where Dell, HP, Emachines, and Compaq all put theirs...

When you boot it up, see if it gives any messages about "Press F11 to start recovery" or something like that (not necessarily F11, could be any of those keys.)

Some companies make the recovery partitions so that they're only destructive. Some make them with repair features. We need to figure out a) If this computer HAS a recovery partition, and b) If it DOES, if it's only a destructive recovery or if it will repair as well.

IF it gives a message like that (and it could come anytime between the POST and when Windows starts loading,) try to activate it and see if you can figure out if it's destructive or not. If it tells you that it's going to format the hard drive, DON'T continue, we need to figure out a way to back up your data.

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
ok JT, i will check later on when i get back home

many thanks :)

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts