Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After Open Office, Firefox, iTunes and Windows updates, Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply

EternalOtome9

EternalOtome9

• Pip
  • 2 posts
In the past two weeks or so, Firefox has been crashing repeatedly for me, mostly when I'm watching youtube clips. Various host processes then began to crash, including SuperFetch. Forum threads suggested SuperFetch as a cause, which I disabled. I also updated Firefox, iTunes, and Open Office to their new versions, and installed the most recent Windows Service pack. This seemed to have slowed down the Firefox crashing, but didn't fix it altogether.

Then today, my Open Office suddenly stopped opening Powerpoint files. This was swiftly followed by a Blue Screen of Death, which when restarted went straight to a second Blue Screen. Safe to say, I am now in Safe Mode with Networking enabled. I'm running Ad-aware right now as well. On a side note, while in safe mode I seem to be unable to run Windows Installer and to update Symantec Anti-Virus, Ad-aware and Spybot to their newer versions (though updated definitions for the last two did install). I'm not sure if this is a feature of Safe Mode or not.

ETA: Ran Ad-aware and Spybot, and the issue seems to have fixed itself. Thanks anyway!

Edited by EternalOtome9, 30 November 2008 - 08:01 PM.

Advertisements