Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting Hardrive and installing Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Makai,

Thanks for the help with the software licenses. Now that we know they are not OEM, I would like to go ahead and proceed with reformatting the HD and installing my Windows XP Professional (home version). I did not have Microsoft Office 2007 or Word Perfect Office X4 on my previous PC and I know I will be fine without those applications.

Also, just so you know, I purchased two PC's from UVU. Both are virtually identical. Following your instructions on this process for one of the PC's will be a good education for me and I look forward to doing it on my own for the 2nd PC.

Sounds like we need to begin with determining the hardware components on this PC, their manufacterer and model numbers so we can d/l the drivers. I believe you indicated using both Aida32 and WinAudit to obtain this information. Is it just a matter of running both applications and doing a copy and paste, or screen capture, and posting it here?

Let me know.

Greg

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Is it just a matter of running both applications and doing a copy and paste, or screen capture, and posting it here?

Yah, just post the screen captures, like I did Ai's picture, or copy and paste the info would be fine too. (I wouldn't expect you to know Ai, but she's one of my very favorite entertainers from Japan). Something to lighten the moment! :)

[attachment=25278:Ai.jpg]

Edited by makai, 08 December 2008 - 10:49 PM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Makai,

OK, I am trying to get you information on the hardware for this PC. Using Aida32 right now and must admit I am a bit confused as to what I should copy and past (or capture) from this program for you to review.

I am looking at the left pane and see several options that I can expand - Computer, Motherboard, Operating System, Server, etc. I believe I need to be looking for the option that provides a list of all the hardware components on this PC, their manufacturer and model number (if there is more I should be looking for just let me know).

If I expand 'Computer' then 'Summary' I get information for Motherboard, Display, Network, and Peripherals. Is that something I shoud copy and paste (capture) for you? Also, I am wondering if I should provide the information to you for the following categories that can be expanded:
Motherboard, Display, Multimedia, Storage, Network, and Devices. There is so much there and honestly, I am not sure exactly which ones you need. Please let me know.

Below I have copied and pasted the WinAudit results for my hardware devices. I was going to post a capture of the results, but it looked like I would have to do multiple captures, so I copied and pasted instead. I hope this is what you need.

Edited 12/10/08

Edited by konakula29er, 10 December 2008 - 10:49 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hey Greg,

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, my ISP had an outage going on for a few days now. My connection keeps dropping intermittantly. I hope they finally got it fixed! Grrrrr!!!!

We need to know who the motherboard manufacture is... although this is really not so important since I looked at the data you posted and everythings points to an Intel chipset. However, if we can discover the actual manufacture and name, it would be a plus. So…

Open WinAudit, and in Options, select System Overview. Run the audit and in the right pane, look below Operating System, there you will see the Manufacture and Product name of the motherboard. Post it here. Another way might be just to look at the motherboard for the manufacture and model number... (duh, my mind is slipping... why didn't I think of that earlier!)

Also, what you posted did have good information…

Display adapters… Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV
Hard drive… ST340014A (Seagate 40 GB)
Monitor… Dell M991
Network… Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection

It appears Sound and modem is onboard, with standard XP drivers. We need to check Device manager to see if we can get some clues. So…

Go to Start> run… type in devmgmt.msc , then click OK. In Device manager, look for Modems and expand the plus sign. See if there is a name and model for the device. Do the same thing for Sound,video and game controllers. Post the information here.

Actually, when you install XP, it will have many of the required drivers. What it definitely won't have is the Chipset driver and the Video (Display) driver. These two we definitely need to download.

Anyways, post the information and then the next step is to locate the drivers, format the disc, and install windows.

If you feel rambunctious, you can try to look up the drivers from the information you gleen!

One thing to keep in mind whenever installing XP, is that it needs to be done in a specific order. Whether this is “law” or not, I don't know, however this is how I’ve been doing it for years and its served me well. This is the order…

Format harddrive
Install Windows
Install the chipset driver (this is ALWAYS the first to install after windows!)
Install the Video driver (Display driver)
Install the sound driver
After that, install the rest of the drivers in any order.

Almost forgot. While Windows can format the drive during installation, it better to use the hard drive manufacture utility. I'm uncertain if you decided to change the drive to a larger one since the existing is only 40gb. In any case, the Disk Manager (DiskWizard) for your Seagate can be downloaded HERE. Take a little time to read over some of the documentation as it's highly recommended.

By the way, I already copied the information you posted, so can you edit your post and delete that long list... it makes scrolling the thread quite difficult. Thanks!

Edited by makai, 10 December 2008 - 07:47 PM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Makai,

Sorry to hear about your ISP outages. That is a pain. Also, don't worry about me, I won't be giving up anytime soon. I'm in for the long haul. As long as you don't mind taking the time. Believe me, I do appreciate your time.

OK, so I ran WinAudit to determine the motherboard manufacturer and product name. This is what I found:

Computer Audit :: 12/10/2008 9:05:49 PM

System Overview

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Item | Value |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Computer Name | LEMON-AID |
| Network Domain | LEMON |
| Site Name | |
| Computer Role | Workstation, Server |
| Computer Description | |
| Operating System | Microsoft® Windows XP Professional |
| Manufacturer | |
| Product Name | |
| Serial Number | |
| Asset Tag | |
| Number Processors | 1 |
| Processor Description | Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 1.80GHz, 1799MHz |
| Total Memory | 509MB |
| Total Hard Drive | 37.3GB |
| Display | 1280 x 1024 pixels, true colour |
| System Uptime | 0 Days, 10 Hours, 33 Minutes |
| BIOS Version | INTEL - 11000215 BIOS Date: 11/15/02 15:11:16 Ver: 08.00.07 BIOS Date: 11/15/02 15:11:16 Ver: 08.00.07 |
| User Name | Administrator |
| Timestamp | 12/10/2008 9:05:49 PM |

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, it came up blank for Manufacturer and Product Name.

The category listings I found under Device Manager are:

Computer
Disk Drives
Display adapters
DVD/CD-ROM drives
Floppy disk controllers
Floppy disk drives
IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
Keyboards
Mice and other pointing devices
Monitors
Network adapters
Ports (COM & LPT)
Processors
SCSI and RAID controllers
Sound, video and game controllers
System Devices
Universal Serial Bus controllers

There was not a "Modems" category that I could expand (I didn't see Modems on the list at all).
As for Sound, video, and game controllers, this is what I found:

Sound, video and game controllers
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Video Codecs

Did you just need to see the above list, or did I need to go into the properties window for each category and look for the name and model of each device? Also, if I do need to go into the properties window, do I need to do it for each category or just certain ones, i.e., Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices? As an example, I went to properties for SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio and found the following under the Driver tab:

Driver Provider: Analog Devices
Driver Version: 5.12.1.5240

That appeared to give us the manufacturer, I'm just not sure the Driver Version equates to the model number of the product.

Let me know. I'm happy to do the leg work for these items, I just need to make sure I'm finding the correct information.

I am not changing the HD to a larger one. That IS a larger one than the one I had in the old PC (You can stop laughing now!).

I will d/l the DiskWizard for Seagate and read the documentation.

Thanks,

Greg

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Greg,

My internet is still messed up. Last night it was working until I went to bed, but then this morning, my modem was blinking again. I hope they clear the outage soon. I'm at work right now so I can't take the time to fully reply to your input. Hopefully when I get home, my internet will be back. Just wanted to let you know I wasn't ignoring the thread.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Greg,

My internet is still messed up. Last night it was working until I went to bed, but then this morning, my modem was blinking again. I hope they clear the outage soon. I'm at work right now so I can't take the time to fully reply to your input. Hopefully when I get home, my internet will be back. Just wanted to let you know I wasn't ignoring the thread.

No worries Makai, I understand. I'll just wait to hear from you. Good luck though, sounds like your ISP needs a slap upside the head.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

... sounds like your ISP needs a slap upside the head.

I would settle for a prorated bill!

Well, right now my connection seems to be working so I'm hoping it will stay that way!

Ok, so getting back to the task at hand... Warning long post!

It's too bad we couldn't identify the motherboard, but I have a good feeling it's an 800 series Intel chipset. The video card also looks to be an 800 series, so I think we're safe to start now.

Rather than downloading the DiskWizard from Seagate, I have an older version that I've uploaded HERE. Just click on "Free User" to download it... there is a slight waiting time you have to endure. This is the old DiskWizard Seagate used to have on their website. The utility will create 2 bootable floppy disks so hopefully you have some empty ones available and a floppy drive in the computer we're working on. If not, you will have to go with the utility from the Seagate website where I think it can make a bootable CD.

Either way, the utility is pretty much straight forward to use just following the menus. If you're unsure how to do any of the following, or need some help, just let me know.

Once you get the floppies made, you will need to ensure your bios is set to the boot sequence below…

Floppy first
CD second
Hard drive third

To get into bios, start or restart the machine, and continually hit the delete key on your keyboard. The bios screen should appear. If Windows starts instead, you will have to restart the computer to try again. If the machine still won’t go into bios, then try hitting the F1, F10, or F12 keys instead.

Once in bios, you can navigate using the up/down/left/right arrows on your keyboard. There are also instructions displayed on the bottom and/or right of the screens to tell you how to command actions while in bios.

I’m not sure what bios you have, but it’s probably Award, or AMIBIOS, or other. In any case, somewhere in one of the menus, there will be a place you can change the Boot Sequence. Make the changes as noted above, and then hit the F10 key on your keyboard, then confirm to save and exit the bios. If the F10 key doesn’t prompt you to do this, then look somewhere in one of the menus where you can choose to save and exit the bios. But… before you exit bios, put in the first DiskWizard floppy disc you made so the computer can boot from it.

I took the following pictures so you could see what the screens look like. Sorry they're so blurry, but at least they’re still viewable.

Ok, once DiskWizard finishes booting, the application will launch its window and give you a warning that the drive may already have an OS installed. Just confirm to continue. You should then see the main window…

[attachment=25345:IMG_1564.JPG]

In the left menu, click on Utilities. In the next window, select Zero Fill drive (full). You may get a warning again… just confirm to continue…

[attachment=25346:IMG_1565.JPG]

Zeroing the drive = low level format… the same condition the drive was in when it left the manufacture. The thing about zeroing is that doing so will wipe the drive data and write either “1”s or “0”s to the drive... thus, cleaning it up and getting it ready for the new install. Since Windows XP only occupies about 4-6 gigs of drive space, you really don’t need to zero the entire drive, but only about 4-6 gigabytes. In your case, that would be about 15%. So, when the zeroing function reaches about 15% to 20%, you can cancel it. Once you cancel, you will be returned to the main DiskWizard window (after a few confirmations, that is).

Once back at the window, you may get a message that there is a newly detected drive asking if you want to set it up. Just cancel the message window. Now back at the main window, select the choice to Setup your Hard disk. You will see the next window…

[attachment=25347:IMG_1566.JPG]

Click on the icon of the disk and then click next.

Here is where I had to stop or take a chance of formatting my laptop. Didn’t want to do that! In any case, if you follow the prompts, you should be able to format your drive. I think you’ll get a window asking if you want to set it up automatically or manually. I never set up automatically since I always partition my drives. However since your drive is a puny 40 gigs (LOL!!), you can select automatic. DiskWizard should then format it.

Once that’s all done, you can exit the application. Pull out the floppy and insert the Windows CD before restarting your computer. Make sure you have the license number written down as Windows will ask for it during the installation.

I don’t imagine you will have any problems installing windows because all you really have to do is follow the prompts. But if you do, let me know here.

Once Windows is finished installing, you will need to remove the CD from the drive and get back into bios to change the Boot Sequence again. Just set it as follows...

Hard drive first
Floppy/CD second or third... doesn't really matter

Save and exit the bios like you did before.

During the time Windows is being installed, you might want to download some drivers. Go HERE to download the Chipset and Video (Graphic) drivers. Remember that the Chipset driver goes in first so install it directly after Windows is done, then install the video driver.

Next we're going to have to do a little investigating to see what, if anything, Windows didn't install drivers for. So, go to Start> run... type in devmgmt.msc In the Device Manager window, look for any yellow or red marks. If there are any, list them here... or at least list the category if possible.

Well that may be a lot absorb, so I'm going to stop here. There's not much else to do but wait to see how things turn out anyways.

Let me know if you have any problems at all. Have fun!

Edited by makai, 11 December 2008 - 08:12 PM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I’m not sure what bios you have, but it’s probably Award, or AMIBIOS, or other. In any case, somewhere in one of the menus, there will be a place you can change the Boot Sequence. Make the changes as noted above, and then hit the F10 key on your keyboard, then confirm to save and exit the bios. If the F10 key doesn’t prompt you to do this, then look somewhere in one of the menus where you can choose to save and exit the bios. But… before you exit bios, put in the first DiskWizard floppy disc you made so the computer can boot from it.

Makai,

I quoted the above paragraph from your last post because that is where I got hung up. I made both DiskWizard floppy discs successfully. I was able to go into BIOS and change the boot sequence to the order you indicated (Floppy Drive, CD Drive, Hard Drive). I inserted DiskWizard 1 into the drive before I saved and exited the BIOS. The PC then started its bootup process and stopped when it gave me the following message:

Starting Caldera DR-DOS...

Can't load BDOS kernel file: A:\IBMDOS.COM
System Halted

That's where I am stuck. Any ideas?

P.S. Ok, Ok...Yes, apparantly my 40 GB HD is a little undersized for this day and age, but compared to what I had it's an improvement. You know what they say, "Once man's trash is another man's treasure". For now, I'm that other man :)

Edited by konakula29er, 11 December 2008 - 09:04 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

P.S. Ok, Ok...Yes, apparantly my 40 GB HD is a little undersized for this day and age, but compared to what I had it's an improvement. You know what they say, "Once man's trash is another man's treasure". For now, I'm that other man :)

Just say you are an environmentalist and don't like seeing old computer parts go to a landfill :)

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Starting Caldera DR-DOS...

Can't load BDOS kernel file: A:\IBMDOS.COM
System Halted

That's where I am stuck. Any ideas?

Funny you should mention this... I tested the DiskWizard utility before I uploaded it. The exact same error showed up for me. I put in some new floppys and made another set of boot disks and this time the error didn't show up. My floppies are all sort of old, so that may have been the cause. If you have other floppies lying around, try making another set. Sorry about that!

"Once man's trash is another man's treasure"

LOL! I know all about this! I have scrap camera parts I've had for over 21 years!

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Funny you should mention this... I tested the DiskWizard utility before I uploaded it. The exact same error showed up for me. I put in some new floppys and made another set of boot disks and this time the error didn't show up. My floppies are all sort of old, so that may have been the cause. If you have other floppies lying around, try making another set. Sorry about that!

"Once man's trash is another man's treasure"

LOL! I know all about this! I have scrap camera parts I've had for over 21 years!

LOL, you know since the turn of the century came and went almost nine years ago, digital cameras have become very popular :)

The floppies I used were brand new. I bought them last night at Hel-Mart (I mean Wal-Mart). Would you believe it was the last box they had in stock? The dept. manager said they no longer stock floppy disks. I guess I can try to make a new set with the other disks in the box - there were ten. If that doesn't work, I'll head to Office Max and pick some up there then give it another try. I'll let you know later today how that works.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Wahoo!!!!! Used two other floppies out of the same box to created new bootable discs and they worked. Talk about fickle. OK, so I'm continuing with your most recent instructions. Will update you later.

Greg

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Awesome! Have fun!

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Awesome! Have fun!

I am :)

OK, I am now at the DiscWizard screen on the tab titled, 'Motherboard Controller'. I have a question here. The picture you provided of this same screen in your post showed your mouse arrow over the 'Primary Master FUJITSU MHT2080AH 80 GBYTES' drive. On my screen 'Primary Master' cannot be selected as there is no drive there, but under 'Secondary Master' mine shows ST340014A 40 GBYTES. I believe I should select that option and continue, I'm just curious as to why my HD is not listed under the Primary Master but is listed under the Secondary Master?

Edited by konakula29er, 12 December 2008 - 10:37 AM.