Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 laptops, same problem

• Please log in to reply

ruacriado

ruacriado

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have a Latitude that suddenly won't power up. I also have an Inspirion. Both units have bad batteries and run the the AC power cord plugged in. The power light comes on for a coupla seconds and then goes off. This laptop was used for homeschooling. My Inspirion worked fine so I took the hard drive out of it and put the Latitude hard drive in it. This worked fine for a coupla days and now the Inspirion is doing the same thing. I took the Latitude to a computer serviceman and he said the jack in the back was loose. He ordered another jack and installed it. This did not fix the problem. Neither computer will power up now. Putting the original hard-drive hack in the Inspirion changed nothing. The repairman says this problem could not be the result of a virus.

I appreciate any help you can give. :)

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

I have found that as laptops get older, the batteries do degrade. Try removing the batteries and power only from the mains. I think the power charging circuit actually sucks all of the power from your charger attempting to charge the battery! Your laptops will start but will turn off if your mains fail, (obviously).

Hope this helps..

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Switch the AC Adapters and see how it goes.

They should be the same voltages. You can double check by looking at the sticker on the adapter and compare it to the one on the bottom of the laptop. I'm going to agree with the repair guy and put it on the DC jack on the laptop, but can't really put my finger on it without your adapter and a multimeter :)

ruacriado

ruacriado

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Tried that idea but no help. Still does the same thing. Repairman says both motherboards are fried. Just odd that they would goes out within days of each other and be different ages and models.