Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I installed 1000's of fonts. Now strange symbols show on web pages

• Please log in to reply

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi. I recently added about 5000 fonts to my computer. Since I've done this, a lot of text (i think mostly if not completely on web pages) appears incorrectly and is replaced by weird symbols. The attached image show an example. The  symbol and © symbols can be seen to be showing up where they shouldn't be. There are dozens of other symbols that show up from time to time also.

What's even more confusing is this: I was trying to download my latest ebay invoice and when i viewed it on their website, the odd symbols aren't there. When i downloaded the invoice as an HTML file, the symbols were then all over it (the image shows this). I checked the html code and there's nothing there to make them appear.

To clarify, this isn't just when i download html pages. It shows up all the time on various websites (i cant remember if it's just web pages or also other files on my pc also, i THINK it's just web pages/received email text). I've tried opening the pages with different browsers and all show the same symbols in the same places.

Any help would be massively appreciated, this is driving me nuts.

Attached Thumbnails

• font.JPG

Edited by hypnoticstate, 19 December 2008 - 09:49 AM.

Advertisements

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I actually just found what seems to be a solution. I had to go in to my browsers and change the character encoding to Unicode. Hope this helps someone with the same problems.