Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

find new motherboard.

• Please log in to reply

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I have an old computer i am trying to get up and running. I think the mobo is bad. It has a ECS P4VXASD2+
I would like to find another motherboard because I can't find this one anywhere. What would be a comparable mobo to this one?

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I have an old computer i am trying to get up and running. I think the mobo is bad. It has a ECS P4VXASD2+
I would like to find another motherboard because I can't find this one anywhere. What would be a comparable mobo to this one?

Newegg only has 1, this one but it is a good pick. Its harder to find socket 478 motherboards now. It has an integrated video card which is fine unless you game. Also this one has a pci express slot. If you have an agp video card you were wanting to reuse it will not work/fit.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813138079

Same thing with this mobo, it has a pci express slot also. You will still have an integrated video card if you do not have one that you were wanting to reuse. Remember Pci express is better/faster and newer and you have more available video cards to choose from.

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1139

those both will work but they are micro atx meaning a smaller form factor than your old mobo. Nothing wrong with it.

**EDIT**

I found the biostar mobo for less here. I saved you money.

http://www.geeks.com...4...-M4&cat=MBB

Edited by jrm20, 02 January 2009 - 05:05 PM.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I was planning on using my old video card so i could hook it up to the tv and use it for gaming. It is a Gigabyte GV-R925128DE.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Unless you can help me fix whats wrong with it. You can look at my other post i have up.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
OK, Motherboard is bad. Which mobo can I use that you suggested above with my video card I already have?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

OK, Motherboard is bad. Which mobo can I use that you suggested above with my video card I already have?

Neither will work with your video card as I suggested above because it is hard to find socket 478 mobos as is and the 478 boards with agp is even harder.

I did find 1 for you.
This is the ONLY one I found anywhere which is NEW and not used or refurbished which has an agp slot. As I said I would go the other boards for the PCI Express slot as that is the newer technology with more cards readily available. I know you said that you wanted to use your old agp video card which is an ATI Radeon 9250 for gaming but that card is quite old. This is my reasoning for bringing this up, If you don't ever plan on upgrading the video card then stay with the AGP you have and get this AGP motherboard. If you do plan on upgrading the video card sometime then I suggest you buying one of the other PCI Express motherboards now, but you will have to use the integrated video on the motherboard until you bought a new PCI Express video card.

Not trying to confuse you just help you as its hard to even find AGP Video cards now if you ever wanted to upgrade in the future. So you can listen to what I have to say or just ignore it and get the one with AGP.

Here is the motherboard with an AGP slot which will work with your current video card.

http://www.geeks.com...8...-PB&cat=MBB

Good luck!
:)

Edited by jrm20, 03 January 2009 - 10:24 AM.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Thanks for all of the info. I am understanding what you are saying. I will most likely go with the mobo with the PCI express slot. What video card would you recommend me getting? I dont wanna spend a whole bunch of money. But i dont want a video card that wont work either. Right now i am playing the age of empires III games.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Also, does it matter what size processor i have for the motherboards to fit it? I have a pentium 4 2.53 Ghz. If it matters

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Thanks for all of the info. I am understanding what you are saying. I will most likely go with the mobo with the PCI express slot. What video card would you recommend me getting? I dont wanna spend a whole bunch of money. But i dont want a video card that wont work either. Right now i am playing the age of empires III games.

Depends on what your budget is and I also do not want you to spend a lot of money.

If you will be playing older games like AOE 3 then you really do not need to get a new Pci express video card and the pci express mobo.

I will leave you with the final decision. I only brought it up so later on down the road it will be easier.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Also, does it matter what size processor i have for the motherboards to fit it? I have a pentium 4 2.53 Ghz. If it matters

It goes by the socket type which your old board said you have a socket 478 cpu. Any socket 478 mobo will work.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
What videos cards and mobos would you recommend? Or should I just not worry about rebuilding this computer?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

What videos cards and mobos would you recommend? Or should I just not worry about rebuilding this computer?

Probably not, it is up to you. If you will be playing OLDER games like aoe3 then yes it is worth it. If you want to be playing any of the new games no it is not worth rebuilding the pc IMO.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
ok, im gonna get a laptop then, would you recommend any?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

ok, im gonna get a laptop then, would you recommend any?

Toshiba has nice ones and if you want to go custom look into cyberpower.com they are not as expensive compared to the regular manufactured brands like toshiba,hp,alienware,sony etc.. and you get slightly faster hardware usually on the video card.