Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen

• Please log in to reply

LadyBugg

LadyBugg

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: Hi all, this is my first post. My system is win98se. My problem is, I will be working and for no reason a blue screen comes up. with this on it. an exception OE has occurred at 28:FF294064 in VD---this was called from 0028:COO1A2CO in VXD---
It goes on to say I'll loose all,or wait and maybe it will come back, hit a key, ect...
there is no certain program I'm using when it happens. The person I bought it from says that I can't use my fancy programs that I use and not have problems. Meaning Webshots and IncredMail. I think the computer is junk. It is a re-furbished Dell optiplex gx400 pentium 4 @1.7 ghz 512 megs ram 20 gb.(that's what is on the invoice) Have done all updates, virus scan and that good stuff. What can I do to get rid of this problem. Cost me already more than a new Dell!!
Please help

Advertisements

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
:tazz: Hi there

Need more info.

Sounds like it's a video problem (judging by error messages).

That might mean either your video or monitor driver either isn't the right one, or needs updating.

Right-click on My Computer, scroll down to Properties, click on Device Manager.

Look for icons with an exclamation mark or question mark.

It's a good a place to start anyway.

If all is well here, it still might be worth updating drivers for video and monitor. Check out the vendors website. It it's a badged pc, should be possible to find out the video card inside - otherwise, you'll have to unscrew the cover and may have to take the card out in order to verify card type.

Also, video may be built in to the board.

Use caution when fiddling inside pcs - touch the metal chassis to discharge any static you may have.

Above all, attempt such things only when you are cool. If you're wound up, you may do more damage - we've all been there.

Good luck.

DaveB - LinuxWannabee

p.s. I've know some software cause these kind of errors also.

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
With regard blue screen:

It could also be a memory problem or just a faulty, loose connection between PC and monitor (e.g. cable etc..)