Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Will not load windows vista at all!

• Please log in to reply

daniellerenee

daniellerenee

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Just recently, our computer has been really acting up. We turned it on one day to find the screen was black with pink lines running vertically and when windows vista tries to load, the lines turn from pink to green and from vertical to horizontal. Then the "blue screen of death" appears. It goes from that to the system restore/recovery screen for vista. We have called HP and they could not repair it. I have tried the disks they gave us to "restore" our computer. Also, i even purchased a new hard drive and that didnt work...anyone know what the deal is? I am losing my mind!!

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
What does the BSOD say? That would be really helpful.

daniellerenee

daniellerenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It says that windows had an error loading. I always takes me to that screen where you have an option to go into safe mode or load windows normally. but on either option it never comes up.It goes back and forth between the windows loading screen and the BSOD. Then the screen turns black and thats it...

Edited by daniellerenee, 14 January 2009 - 06:54 PM.

wambo

wambo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi Danielle,

So you've tried installing windows on a new hard drive ?

If you have and this still hasnt worked it could be something deeper.

Some other hardware could be corrupt. Unless the CD you used to install windows is corrupt.

I'm not sure, anybody else shed light on this ?

daniellerenee

daniellerenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yep. After installing the new hard drive that I spent $129 on, I tried to load the new disks that HP sent me. There are 2 disks and they are for System Recovery. It does the same exact thing when the other hard drive was in there. So, I don't know what else to do.

wambo

wambo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hm Im not sure then, judging from that, it isnt your hard drives. Possibly the software but that makes no sense as HP sent you them new.

We need someone with more hardware/technical knowledge to look at this. In my opinion it a more in depth issue regarding another part of the hardware.

Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

to find the screen was black with pink lines running vertically and when windows vista tries to load, the lines turn from pink to green and from vertical to horizontal

It looks like video card problem. Is it on-board video, or dedicated card?

casemonster

casemonster

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Yep. After installing the new hard drive that I spent $129 on, I tried to load the new disks that HP sent me. There are 2 disks and they are for System Recovery. It does the same exact thing when the other hard drive was in there. So, I don't know what else to do.

Yup i tink thats it, most HP discs have hardware detection in them, especially the ones made within the last few years (I tech for HP). As for it's the exact same thing your other hard drive was doing idk? The sure fire way is to order the replacement hdd from HP, the downside to that is that it *may cost more.

*significantly, like x2 :)

The MAIN thing to look for is do the lines show up AFTER the bios screen (the HP logo when you first turn it on) or BEFORE.

After is a software problem and most likely repairable by a reinstall of windows
Before is a most likely a hardware issue and will need part replacement

Look on the bottom of the laptop at the "S/N"
It will look some thing like this xxx8xxxxxxx-ABA
The number in that spot tells what year the laptop was manufactured. If still under a year you are eligible for repair or replacement from HP. ( just don't tell them you replaced the Hdd yourself(big no no))

Edited by casemonster, 16 January 2009 - 12:31 AM.

wambo

wambo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Jusr re intsall windows without using the HP discs. Much easier.

Use a disc which isnt for HP. you'll just have to find the drivers for yourself.

daniellerenee

daniellerenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

to find the screen was black with pink lines running vertically and when windows vista tries to load, the lines turn from pink to green and from vertical to horizontal

It looks like video card problem. Is it on-board video, or dedicated card?

I am not sure...but how can i tell? I would assume it is on-board.

Advertisements

daniellerenee

daniellerenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

The MAIN thing to look for is do the lines show up AFTER the bios screen (the HP logo when you first turn it on) or BEFORE.

The lines are immediately there. The BSOD is pink/red instead of blue...very strange!

daniellerenee

daniellerenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

After is a software problem and most likely repairable by a reinstall of windows
Before is a most likely a hardware issue and will need part replacement

Look on the bottom of the laptop at the "S/N"
It will look some thing like this xxx8xxxxxxx-ABA
The number in that spot tells what year the laptop was manufactured. If still under a year you are eligible for repair or replacement from HP. ( just don't tell them you replaced the Hdd yourself(big no no))

it's three months out of warranty of course...

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Ouch because this DEFINATELY sounds like a hardware problem. If it has these lines from the start it is either the LCD panel or the GPU. In a laptop, the LCD panel is usually easier (but not easy) to replace than the GPU, especially if the laptop has integrated graphics as that requires replacing the whole motherboard.

wambo

wambo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
If it is immediate as in you press the button and you dont see the BIOS screen. It definately something thats not going to be easy. Hows your tech knowledge when it comes to taking pcs ect apart and putting back together?

Do it if you can but if not, get a quote on how much it will cost to fix, then weigh up the pros and cons into wether its better to have the repair or get a new machine.

casemonster

casemonster

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
In a retail, it will cost you about $350-400 to have one of your Staples, Best Buy, or Circuit City people to do it. By yourself it may cost you about half as much for either part and depending if you can get off-brand (not HP).