Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ad-Aware keeps stalling

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

tara

tara

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I have the Trojan Spy virus and I really would like to get rid of it. It's a miracle that I am even on here and I am afraid to turn off my computer for the likelyhood that I cannot log onto the Internet again. Everytime I try to log onto the internet I get an Explorer window that says: "A fatal error has occured" and it forces me to close the program before it can even load. I tried Spybot and Norton Anti-Virus to get rid of this Trojan Spy, but it's insidious! Norton thinks everything is peachy and SpyBot seems to realize it's there but can't seem to rid me of it.

Ad-Aware scans my files and once it gets to about 50,000 files it says it's busy. I waited for 2 hours this morning and it didn't move a single file ahead. I have since configured Ad-Aware according to your guys specs., but it wouldn't let me check the:

"During removal, unload explorer and IE if necessary" box. I am sure you guys wouldn't put in unnecessary steps, so I am dubious if it will work to help make my Ad-Aware SE available to destory this Trojan virus.

Please help me, I have no idea WHAT I am doing, it's amazing to me that I have gotten this far....but I am getting confused and fustrated. I just want a button that says: "Delete all the bad nasty viruses?" and I click Yes and it all goes away. :tazz:

Advertisements

Guest_nommork_*

Guest_nommork_*
"During removal, unload explorer and IE if necessary" box. Thiis not available in the free version

Try to perform a scan in Windows Safe Mode

At the end of rghe Ad-aware se you will be presented with a screen that asks if you want to remove the malware

Run at least two of the online AV scans:
Panda Active Scan
House Call (Trend Micro)
BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan
F-Secure Free Online Virus Scan
Symantec Security Scan & Virus Detection
RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan!
Danish Antivirus scan
McAfee Antivirus scan
Danish Antivirus scan
F-SecureAntivirus scan

GR@PH;<'S

GR@PH;<'S

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
tara,

I cannot log onto the Internet again

Please download this WinSock XP Fix file to a floppy disk,
you can run it off the floppy disk
Note this program is not created, endorsed, supported, or warranted by Lavasoft

GR@PH;<'S :tazz:

tara

tara

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
You guys, thank you SO much, I also got the link to Wilder Security which outlined a way to get rid of the virus, I did the WinSockXP, re-configured Ad-Aware as suggested, and it worked! I think it worked, anyway. My computer can connect to the internet again no problem and my main page isn't telling me that I have a security warning that the Trojan Spy Virus is on my computer. That means it's gone, right? Please tell me it's gone and not just hiding somewhere. I have deep cleansed my C drive upteen times today!

I cannot thank you guys enough for having this website and for replying to me so quickly. I really appreciate your helping me. Also, I am completely NOT computer literate, if I really did vanquish this virus (still thinking it might be lurking somewhere since none of my scans with spy remover software claimed to have fixed it, well, that I know of), but if it's really gone, I am going to be dancing and hooting and quite full of myself for being able to follow your guys directions. :tazz: Thank you so so much!

Edited by tara, 06 May 2005 - 07:33 PM.

prab

prab

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Please post an ad-aware full scan log file so that a someone can look at it and tell you if your system is clean. When you are copying it, make sure the whole file is there. It may take two or three posts to fit the whole file.

~Prab~