Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Results for Hijackthis file [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
How is your machine performing now?

Are you still getting the IE re-directions?

Advertisements

wpr

wpr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

How is your machine performing now?

Are you still getting the IE re-directions?

It is going well.
It seems to be running faster when I use IE. Thanks.
I got a blank pop up box a couple of times when I wanted to fax a pdf file but that is no big deal.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Well your machine looks clean to me.

Don't know about the fax thing. If it becomes problem to might look at posting in the Vista tech forum. If you do you will need to tell them you have been here and post a link to this topic.

We have a couple of last steps to perform and then you're all set.Posted Image

Please go here to download OTCleanIt.

Run this program to remove the tools we have been using.

You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process choose Yes.

MBAM can be uninstalled via control panel add/remove but it may be a useful tool to keep. HijackThis can be uninstalled via the Add or Remove Programs utility in the Control Panel.

Next, we need to clean your restore points and set a new one:

Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs from changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected)1. Turn off System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
2. Restart your computer.

3. Turn ON System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
[/list]System Restore will now be active again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A reminder now: Remember to turn back on any anti-malware programs you may have turned off during the cleaning process.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that you are clean here are some things I think are worth having a look at:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be sure and give the Temp folders a cleaning out now and then. This helps with security and your computer will run more efficiently. I clean mine once a week. For ease of use, you might consider the following free program:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A great way to check that your Microsoft and Java have the latest updates is to go to Software Inspector at Secunia.

I do this weekly. Not only do they tell you which programs need updating but they give you the link to follow.

To bolster your security go to Secunia.com to ensure essential programs are up to date.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make Internet Explorer more secure
  • Click Start > Run
  • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
  • Click on the Security tab
  • Click Reset all zones to default level
  • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
  • In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
  • Next Click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
* MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites and other bad sites. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer, meaning it will be difficult to infect yourself in the future.

* Consider using an alternate browser. Mozilla's Firefox browser is excellant; it is much more secure than Internet Explorer, immune to almost all known browser hijackers, and also has the best built-in pop up blocker (Note: this as an added benefit!) that I have seen. Firefox is my default browser but I retain Internet Explorer as well so that I can access the very few sites that require it.

Firefox may be downloaded from Here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Startuplite is a tool to help you stop some programs not needed when you start your computer from loading. They will begin automatically only when needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help protect your computer in the future here are some free programs you can look at:

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this article by Tony Klein: So how did I get infected in the first place?

Have a safe and happy computing day!

wpr

wpr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
N Z Emerald,

thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.
A few comments based on your last post:
1. OTC- done
2. I turned AVG back on. If I have that I should not need defender as well would I? Don't they clash? What about Super AntiSpyware? It comes on when I boot up but many times I son't activate it as I don't want too many programs going at the same time.
3. System Restore- Not there. Under Properties I have : Device Manager Remote Settings System Protection and Advance Settings
Under System Protection there is not a choice to turn the System Restore on or off. (Is that something in Vista?)
4. ATF Cleaner already on my computer. I promise to use it more often.
5. Secunia- I saved a link to their site and will use it in the future.
6. ActiveX set properly
7. MVP Hosts- Will look at after work today.
8. Firefox- Had it on a computer about 3 years ago and hated it. It crashed all the time. Since my son loves it too and keeps nagging my wife and I to use it I will give it a go. (30 day trial. :) )
9. Startuplite- love this idea. I downloaded the file and will work on it this evening.

As far as I am concerned you can close this thread.
Thanks again.
Your time is worth something and I appreciate it. If the thread is closed would I still be able to show my gratitude off a locked thread? (I am looking at my next payday in a couple of weeks.)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.