Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No connection to the internet

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
You say one says network connections and the other says network connections 2. And you are trying the second one.

If the first one is an ethernet/highspeed capable then try that one. Disable the #2 and try the first one. You should be able to RIGHT click on whichever one says connected and then click on REPAIR. I don't know why it wouldn't give you a repair option.

If none of that is possible or works...maybe your ethernet adapter has gone bad or is bad.

I'm still trying! LOL

Other advice that helps me a lot is start all over. Literally go to your router or modem (Whatever) unplug the cable that is going to your computer and replug it in. In a different port if you have another one available. Treat it likes its the first time you are hooking up the computer. That works for me sometimes/finds missed steps.

Let me know.

Advertisements

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Sorry, I keep refreshing the page, but forget to look to see if there is page 2.

Ok, I mis-led you. The first icon says Make New Connection and the second one is
Local Area Connection2. I don't know where #1 is or if there is supposed to a #1.
I have to double click on the #2 and under status it says connected. It claims it has been connected since I turned on the computer. I still don't see anywhere that it says to repair. When I right click on the #2, it says disable...status...create shortcut...delete(which is not available)...rename and then properties. I have been through them all and I don't see any repair.

I did infact go to a different port on the router. It didn't seem to help.

Again I would re-ask a quiestion about the different OS. I do have XP if that would make a difference. I am not in any way stuck with 2000. I have xp on all my other computers. I just hate to install it if it won't make a difference.

As you can probably tell by now, I am grasping at anything I can to fix the problem. Since I don't know if this is a computer/hardware problem, or the OS, I have no clue if it would matter if I changed OS's.

You would think they would make these things a bit easier to figure out. At least it can't be said 'any dummy can do it'. Because this dummy sure can't.

Thanks again.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Is your computer connected to a router or to modem? If it's a router, is DHCP option enabled or do you have to set a fixed IP in your computer connection?

If it's a router and the DHCP option is enabled and all other computers are working then it's either that the ethernet driver is corrupted or the ethernet card faulty.

If it's a router and DHCP is disabled then you must set parameters to the connection in Network Connection (control panel). If still no good then it's either the ethernet driver or card.

If what you run is a modem then you must set up a new internet connection in Internet Explorer > tools > internet options > connections. If still no good then it's either the ethernet driver or card.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, I have no idea what you are talking about when you say DHCP.

The only thing I can say for certain is the when I unplug the cable it says it is unplugged. When I plug it back in again, it says connected. When I start the computer up, it has a box that says prepairing network connections. I have no idea if that has anything to do with it or not.
And where do I find this DHCP so I can look to make sure it is correct? And how would I find out if it's the card or the driver (without buying new and going that route)?

Yes, it is connected through a router.

As far as the IP, it is checked to find it on it's own. As far as the modem, I don't have dial up. There is a modem but I don't use it. As far as what has been suggested to me so far, I can't find anything wrong with the ethernet modem. As I said, it says it is working properly. And as I said, if I unplug the cable, it tells you it is unplugged.

So if there is something I am not understanding about your last post, please be kind enough to help this dummy out and explain it to me.

And just so I don't give any of you the wrong impression, I am very thankful for ALL the help and suggestions I am getting here.

Thank you very much

Edited by woodworks, 07 February 2009 - 03:56 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I'm gonna let "The Skeptic" take over from here. I assure you he is 100% better help that me LOL Sorry, I couldn't help you further. I will continue to watch the post to learn and keep up on ya.

And to answer your question about the OS, that should not have anything to do with it I don't believe. Skeptic is saying that either your DHCP is not set correctly(settings are wrong),your driver is faulty(I assume will have to uninstall and reinstall the driver/find another driver), or you have a bad ethernet card (hardware problem).

Good luck!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please connect one of the other computers that work well with the router. Click Start > control panel > network connections. Double click LAN or high speed internet > properties. Mark Intenet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties. Now a table will show up. Please report if "obtain an IP aggress automatically" and "obtain DNS server address automatically" are checked. They should be checked.

Now do the same thing with your computer and tell us if these items are checked too. Both computers should show the same.

If they show the same connect your computer again to the router and click Start > Run. In the dialog box type cmd and press enter. A DOS like screen will show up. At the prompt type ipconfig and press Enter. At the prompt type ping followed by the numbers near default gateway. For example: ping 10.0.0.138 (my router). Now the computer will try to send signals to the router. It will send four signals and for each signal it will report the reply. Please report what is written in each reply line under time. for example time<1ms. If the signal fails and you a get a "no reply" answer please repeat and this time type ping 127.0.0.1 and press Enter. Again, report time.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
UPDATE:

I decided to install windows XP before I did any of what you instructed. I figured it wouldn't hurt to see if that would help the situation any.

I installed and it changed the situation completely. I am now able to get online without doing any of your instructions.

I had asked earlier if this would make a difference and was told probably not.
Well I can say it did make a difference (I have no idea why). So, just maybe you guys can make something out of this. I figure since you guys know a heck of a lot more then I do, you should be able to figure it out. If you do, I would like to know why this fixed the problem.

I would like to say once again, thank you one and all for the help. I have been here several times with problems and so far the help has been exactly what I needed. I seem to meet new people to help me all the time.
So again I say thank you for the time and effort you have shown me (as well as others). I appreciate the time you guys put into helping all of us non-geeks.

Jay

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
That was too easy LOL. You took the easy way out...you are supposed to keep working at it until you get the problem solved =) Well, if you are a geek thats how you do it.

Glad to hear you got things working.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

That was too easy LOL. You took the easy way out...you are supposed to keep working at it until you get the problem solved =) Well, if you are a geek thats how you do it.

Glad to hear you got things working.

LOL
I did work at it until I solved the problem. I did it the easiest way I knew how. Even though I didn't know it would work. I think your just jealous that I figured it out on my own (lol).

After all, what would you do if nobody came to you for help?

Thanks again for the help. I'm glad I learned a few things while in here.
Jay

Edited by woodworks, 08 February 2009 - 10:24 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am glad it worked for you.

Advertisements