Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access external Hard drive anymore...

• Please log in to reply

cloudkeeper3

cloudkeeper3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Have a friend who's gonna try a professional program for me that my previous employer purchased. If that can't solve my problem then hopefully his sister an IT tech for a local college can recover my info. He believes one of the 2 will be successful. Thanks for all the help.

Advertisements

Abudum

Abudum

• Pip
  • 2 posts
"My own experience with recuva, and the other tools, was that they did little more than what I can already do with "chkdsk /f", albeit with beautiful screens and helpful icons. I'm hoping that some of the more expert participants of this forum will offer some insight beyond these basics."

This has not been true for me. I have completely reformatted and loaded Windows at least 4 times on one of my computers. I have run a complete format recover using Recover My Files and it has recovered almost every single file on the drive every time I have used it. As a matter of fact to keep from taking up so much space on the drive I saved the recovered files on, I have even erased the recovered files and performed another recovery when I needed to recover more files. Now, all of the files haven't been in the best of shape but, 90% of them have been. I am a professional photographer. I have done sessions where I have taken at least 1,500 images and lost them because some kind of way they just left the computer. As long as I performed the recovery within the month or so the recovery percentage has been at least 90%.

I have a Maxtor 200 gig drive that just quit yesterday. I have retrieved almost everything that was on the drive. However, they are raw files, which means I'll have to retouch all of them again.

Abudum

Abudum

• Pip
  • 2 posts
"My own experience with recuva, and the other tools, was that they did little more than what I can already do with "chkdsk /f", albeit with beautiful screens and helpful icons. I'm hoping that some of the more expert participants of this forum will offer some insight beyond these basics."

This has not been true for me. I have completely reformatted and loaded Windows at least 4 times on one of my computers. I have run a complete format recover using Recover My Files and it has recovered almost every single file on the drive every time I have used it. As a matter of fact to keep from taking up so much space on the drive I saved the recovered files on, I have even erased the recovered files and performed another recovery when I needed to recover more files. Now, all of the files haven't been in the best of shape but, 90% of them have been. I am a professional photographer. I have done sessions where I have taken at least 1,500 images and lost them because some kind of way they just left the computer. As long as I performed the recovery within the month or so the recovery percentage has been at least 90%.

I have a Maxtor 200 gig drive that just quit yesterday. I have retrieved almost everything that was on the drive. However, they are raw files, which means I'll have to retouch all of them again.