Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Certain websites, like facebook, will only display in text only mode

• Please log in to reply

ShivaPrasanna

ShivaPrasanna

• Pip
  • 2 posts
GUYS... i got rid of it now.. i used avira antivir to remove the primary defences of this malware
Then Used Spybot search and destroy as secondary weapon in Safemode..
where it took jus 15 min to figure it out
it spotted 11 suspicious activities by this malware and i removed all of em!

spybot offers another immune system that comes handy
used it to create another virtual firewall

tada.. my system is now completely clean
and no more threats found so far....

one more thing... if it doesnt work.. follow these steps:

1. delete ur current partition
2. create a new partition of atleast 1GB less than previous
(sacrificing a small amt of space wont bother much)
3. now install ur fav OS
4. then as usual.. install avira & spybot
5. go to safe mode
6. search using spybot n clean the registry
7. create immune firewall from it

this shud b enuf

if this prob still persists...
kindly report.

Advertisements

Jessica Smith_358123

Jessica Smith_358123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've actually experienced this periodically myself. Tried everything you guys have tried. What seems to work like a charm each and every time now is a simple reboot of my router. No idea why, but since I tried it, I'm always right back to normal. Hope that helps.

Kawungan

Kawungan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
With Firefox 12 this cured by going to help, restart with add-ons disabled.
Should start in safe mode with all pages displaying correctly.
Then restart normally

Kathyf

Kathyf

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

This behaviour is typically caused by a corrupt Windows user account.
Make a new account from the User Accounts section of Control Panel, log into it and try the same sites again under the various browsers.

Okay i guess I'm dumber than I thought... How do you change Users Accounts for windows? This problem is happening on 3 of my computers... laptop and two desktops using different operating systems and browsers....

uniquename

uniquename

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I solved the problem by simply downloading and running the free version of CCleaner. :)

toseland

toseland

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi maybe this is dumb but this happened to me a few times and it was after my macbook pro battery died all the way and it set the date and time to jan 1 2000. after i fixed the date everything worked.

Kawungan

Kawungan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This will only muddy the water , But it happened again to me last week. For a day and a half Facebook (and some other sites) wree SLOW and only in text.
This happened on 4 PCs with Firefox Chrome Opera and of course IE so forget caches or user accounts or any other local errors. It has to be errors in the HTML coming in or ISP filtering
Any suggestions
Facebook took ages trying to get data from Akamaihd if that is a clue.

satanicspirits

satanicspirits

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi,
I'm experiencing quite an annoying problem. The sites I frequent most are not displaying properly in any of the browsers I use: IE, Firefox, Safari.
The sites I frequent are: msn.com (hotmail), yahoo answers, facebook, and the comedynetwork.ca. Yahoo, MSN, and Facebook will actually load, except they take an extremely long time (like back to the dial up days) and they only display an abridged, text only version. There are no colors, backgrounds, and mostly no pictures. It's the same with all three browsers. I'm on Vista home premium.

They were working last night. I left a Firefox browser with some of these sites open last night. Woke up this morning and now none of them work. I tried a system restore without success. I tried deleting cookies, and clearing the cache. I tried turning off firewalls and anti-virus programs. I even tried visiting the sites on a virtual drive that has XP on it. There are supposedly no files shared between XP and the host OS Vista. Nothing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

[bleep]ing easy problem: JUST SET RIGHT DATE AND TIME IN YOUR PC TO SOLVE THIS !!!!!

jeepney

jeepney

• Pip
  • 1 posts
SOlution for me was setting the date and time correctly on computer, as poster above mentioned. Evidently router thinking time was off triggers security settings in Facebook - which is why http: works when https: is text only. I'm using Ubuntu but I suspect it is the root problem for every OS/Computer

ozgunakcay

ozgunakcay

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi,
I'm experiencing quite an annoying problem. The sites I frequent most are not displaying properly in any of the browsers I use: IE, Firefox, Safari.
The sites I frequent are: msn.com (hotmail), yahoo answers, facebook, and the comedynetwork.ca. Yahoo, MSN, and Facebook will actually load, except they take an extremely long time (like back to the dial up days) and they only display an abridged, text only version. There are no colors, backgrounds, and mostly no pictures. It's the same with all three browsers. I'm on Vista home premium.

They were working last night. I left a Firefox browser with some of these sites open last night. Woke up this morning and now none of them work. I tried a system restore without success. I tried deleting cookies, and clearing the cache. I tried turning off firewalls and anti-virus programs. I even tried visiting the sites on a virtual drive that has XP on it. There are supposedly no files shared between XP and the host OS Vista. Nothing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here is THE REAL SOLUTION! (2 STEPS ONLY)

1-RESET firefox
(Help > Troubleshooting Information > Reset Firefox)
After the reset is finished, your old Firefox profile information will be placed on your desktop in a folder named "Old Firefox Data.

2-Copy all those files and folders in that folder EXCEPT "cert8.db" file. Then paste them in to "C:\Users\YOUR_OWN_USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\BLAH_BLAH_BLAH.default-BLAH_BLAH_BLAH"

That's it!

Advertisements

ozgunakcay

ozgunakcay

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Here is THE REAL SOLUTION! (2 STEPS ONLY)

1-RESET firefox
(Help > Troubleshooting Information > Reset Firefox)
After the reset is finished, your old Firefox profile information will be placed on your desktop in a folder named "Old Firefox Data.

2-Copy all those files and folders in that folder EXCEPT "cert8.db" file. Then paste them in to "C:\Users\YOUR_OWN_USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\BLAH_BLAH_BLAH.default-BLAH_BLAH_BLAH"

That's it!

jmarc77657

jmarc77657

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The date and Time on my computer ended up being the issue. If your power reserve in your system goes out, the systems date resets to 2000. After that, when you go to get on secure web pages, it tries to validate your system and when the date is set to 2000, it sees a problem and won't validate the SSL certificate. Resetting the date works instantly.

manonayacht

manonayacht

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i was having this exact same problem on windows xp/chrome.

But I worked out what was causing this (using telerik fiddler). It was the security certificate wasn't valid! and the reason that it wasnt valid was because the date/time on my computer had been set to 2 months in the future. I changed the date/time (in windows double click on time in taskbar) and that fixed it.

I've looked on the internet and other people have had the same problem and fixed it the same way, e.g.

Really annoying that it was something so simple I must have spent an hour trying to sort this out, anyway I hope this helps somebody.

Cheers, Julian

kwconyers

kwconyers

• Pip
  • 1 posts
this worled for me also. Thank you suprene overlords of the computer geek duumies. Two minutes fixed the problem after thirteen hours of misery....Thanks again

spindoctor84

spindoctor84

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HELP! I know this is an old topic, but I am experiencing the same issues. I've booted firefox in safe mode, IE doesn't work either, nor does Chrome. I am seeing text only sites on msn.com, facebook.com, yahoo.com, and others. I tried changing the time but this has not worked. Things that I have also done:

System restore to an earlier date (but it has come back)
Change the system time from the internet synchronization tool
Deleted cache, cookies, temporary internet files
Restarted computer
Malware bytes scan shows no malware detected.
Avg scan shows no viruses detected.
Ran hijack this and found no malicious programs

HELP please! It is very appreciated.