Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

EIDE Ctlr - Win Shutdown ?

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Now that have new primary HDD and XP is installed, would it be a good time to re-connect my 2nd HHD?

What would happen if I tired to connect my old 'primary' drive as a 'slave'? ... the C: partition had a lot of settings that I''ll redo but the 2nd partition had the latest data that hadn't gotten backed up yet.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If all you want is data and NO Programs then this is the steps I would take.,
If your dvd cdrom is on a different IDE controller then your hd, disconnect that and put old hd on there temporarily to get the data copied over. You should not need the dvd\cdrom for this step.
After you have copied over all DATA and do not need anything else. Then remove old hd and replace the dvd drive back into the system. Boot back up and everything should be fine.
If you're dvd is not on it's own IDE channel and is on the same ribbon with the HD then you will need to do the following
1. Make sure the new hd's jumper is set for MASTER or MASTER with SLAVE
2. Set old hd as SLAVE
3. Hook old hd up where dvd\cdrom was and bootup the system
4. Copy all DATA as described in previous steps.
5. Once done reverse procedure and put dvd\cdrom drive back in system and bootup>>>> Remember to put Jumper on new drive back to original setting before step 1

Edited by rshaffer61, 09 April 2009 - 11:58 PM.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
thank you again ... was able to retrieve all the data from the 2nd partition of the old HDD. Not surprisingly, the C: partition was corrupted - couldn't read it and system said it needed to be formatted. No big deal - there was almost no data on it anyway - and the documents/pictures (in My Documents) had been backed up to a flash drive.

Connected my 2nd physical drive and XP accepted it (all partitions readable) - wasn't corrupted (had hoped it wasn't ... had all my email info stored there).

Waiting for UPS to bring my TRENDnet adapter (was cheaper through amazon than tigerdirect so ordered it online). Expect that will fix my Internet problem, then this 'topic' will be resolved (for the 2nd time). Will notify immediately.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for updating us. This will help others with the same problem as they read the topics. Please do let us know when you get the trendnet and it works. I am very happy that you were able to backup all your data and it is safe for you now. We will be waiting for your update.
I'm glad we could help

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Got the TRENDnet Adapter today ... with that, a new HDD, and YOUR HELP my PC is back up (Boots OK, Internet/Email work, hard drives behave).

Please mark this topic as RESOLVED ... I'd do it myself but don't know how.

Thanks again for everything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help. Please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible