Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Stop : 0x000000FC" Error.

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Lets try to eliminate possible issues with your system. Start with RAM.

http://www.memtest.org/

Go here to download memtest. Go to Download (Pre-built and ISOs)

Get the file that is named Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
It should be under v.2.11
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory.

http://www.terabyteu...ee-software.htm

Go here and download Burncdcc. Open up the .iso file that you unzipped earlier with Burncdcc. Burn a CD using this program (burn at a slow speed (1X))

Now you should have a bootable CD that has memtest on it. This program tests your RAM and ensures it is in good condition. Once you have the CD, you should take out all sticks of RAM from your computer except one.
Boot from the disc, and run the memory test for at least 7 passes.
After this test passed or failed, try the other stick of RAM (if there is another).
Run this test overnight if you want to.

http://www.dummies.c...our-laptop.html
Read this if you have a notebook.

http://www.associate...ter.html?cat=59
Watch this video to remove RAM on a desktop.

Advertisements

KH19

KH19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I think I may just buy a windows CD and try to fix it that way, would reformating my computer fix this issue? If so what CD type would be the best to get? (links would be appreciated) I know know the difference between the upgrade version and the one for system builders. Is there a huge difference between XP and XP professional? Is it hard to reformat my computer?

Thanks in advance.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
it may take care of the problem by reinstalling. Hopefully there are no issues with your memory. But you will know if that is the problem right away

KH19

KH19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Im gunna do the memtest tonight. Another problem that I have now is when I right-click an icon (anywhere on my desktop or any folder) I get a windows explorer error that shuts down the explorer and relaunches it a few seconds later. Is that a sign of something wrong with the RAM?

Edit: I just installed SP3 again and the windows explorer error stopped. Now to try the devices.

Edit 2x: OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG that fixed it!!!! Thanks for all your guys help, if it happens again ill just uninstall SP3 and reinstall it again!

Again, thanks for all your guys help!

Edited by KH19, 13 April 2009 - 10:27 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please run the memtest so that we can rule out any problem with that

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Lenovo's usually have a recovery partition and/or a set of recovery disks - post back here before buying anything.
Don't restore the computer before running the hardware tests - if it's a hardware problem you'll have wiped the hard drive out and still won't fix the problem.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Don't restore the computer before running the hardware tests - if it's a hardware problem you'll have wiped the hard drive out and still won't fix the problem.

Yea, make sure nothing is wrong with your RAM first before you reinstall. If that isn't a problem, then you have found a workaround.