Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP with mods Crashes occasionally and has issues powering on

• Please log in to reply

rednexrus

rednexrus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I bought a HP a6248 new last Mar. It has a AMD Ahtlon X2 5200+ CPU on a MCP61PM-HM motherboard and a 400gb ? manufacture HD. Those parts are stock along with the DVD drive, case, media card reader, case fans, etc. The parts that I changed out are the PSU changed to a 700W Rocketfish, RAM replaced with Corsair 2x2gb Gaming 800MHZ, and I added a BFG 8800GT video card. All parts were installed according to instructions as soon as I pulled the tower out of the box. It worked fine with only the occasional Vista issues since then but last week it started crashing at random points. Most times that it crashes are when playing WOW or running system tests(running them to try to find out if hardware is the issue). Also it will occasionally just freeze and the display shows whatever was onscreen at that moment. The power is still illuminated but the HDD indicator shows no activity and the only way to get the computer to work again is to do a hard restart. I was wondering what the most likely culprit is. My guess is the PSU is going out am i on the right track?

Edited by sari, 23 April 2009 - 12:03 PM.
Removed MBAM log as there were no infections present

Advertisements