Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting Linksys Cable/DSL Modem Help

• Please log in to reply

LogicsHere

LogicsHere

• Pip
  • 5 posts
There are no diagrams or clear explanations anywhere in/on the router box or on the Linksys website on how to connect their router to my DSL modem.

After downloading a manual on another company's router, I interpret this process to be as follows:

Take the DSL modem ethernet cable that is currently connected into the computer and connect it instead to the "internet" slot on the router. Take the cable that came in the box with the router and connect one end into port 1 and the other into the ethernet cable slot on my computer that the DSL modem was in previously.

Is this correct?

Edited by LogicsHere, 18 April 2009 - 03:06 PM.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hello LogicsHere and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Looks like you have it straight. Here is my explanation just to help bring it home.

Here is the basic setup for home networks.

(1) The wall jack in your house is RJ11 (Phone jack). Run a phone cable from the jack to the port on the back of the DSL Modem. There is normally only one RJ11 port in the back of the modem.

(2) The DSL modem should now have connectivity from the service provider. You should notice an RJ45 (Ethernet/Data cable) port in the back of the modem. There is normally only one of these as well. You should now have one end of that Ethernet cable plugged into the DSL modem. The other end of that cable should be plugged into the Uplink (or port 1 depending on your make and model) port on the router.

(3) The Router should now have connectivity which the modem has provided. Take another Ethernet cable to plug one end into port 2 on your router. Plug the other end into your PC.

Please note that if the router has never connected to this PC before you may need to install software or consult the quick start documentation included. The setup I have provided will be enough to allow your PC to see the router and have the ability to see the outside world.

Also, here is a basic diagram of what we're doing. It matches what I have described perfectly. (Special thanks to stettybet0 for this image)

If you have any questions please let us know!

Good luck! :)

Edited by Facedown98, 19 April 2009 - 12:27 PM.