Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sticky left control key on Dell Latitude

• Please log in to reply

joe f

joe f

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
My Dell latitude d830 laptop suddenly started acting like all typed keys are preceded by the left control key. In all programs.

It is not a hardware problem because my USb plug in keyboard does the same thing. I also made sure that all the sticky key and filter key settings are not clicked in the accessibility settings on the control panel.

and I updated the Dell latitude bios from the Dell support website.

It still is a sticky left control key??

What is up? Any ideas?

Advertisements

joe f

joe f

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I also ran two anti-virus packages too, seems clean

joe f

joe f

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Also this has Windows XP on it, with the latest updates fully installed

majesty2180

majesty2180

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Had this same problem on an older Dell Latitude I own. The problem absolutely is the keyboard. To test and verify, unplug the built in keyboard, boot it with just a USB keyboard plugged in, and it will work fine (what has happened is that the built in keyboard has an issue with a "sticky key", and this is going to consistently send that key stroke signal to the OS, no matter how many external keyboards you have plugged into it). Ultimately, replacing the keyboard is the only way to resolve the problem.