Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer keeps opening up new browser windows

• Please log in to reply

MikeF42

MikeF42

• Pip
  • 1 posts
After using IE v. 7.0.6001.18000 normal browsing, all of a sudden new tabs and new browser windows start opening up quite quickly.
I can't close them fast enough before more tabs/windows open up. Task Mgr. is the only thing I can use to stop all of that.

I heard it might be vundo or conflickr but I downloaded programs that scan for those virus' and the scan completed
OK without finding evidence of those issues.

I have Windows Security updates applied, I run updated Norton AntiVirus 2009, and also SpyBot and all of those
scans turn up nothing.

ANY ideas on what the problem is, or how I can fix it?

Thank you VERY much,

Michael

Advertisements

chamber

chamber

Face Burnin' Malware Fighter

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,712 posts
Hello MikeF42,

This sounds like it could still be a Malware issue. It would be in your best interests to follow all the steps HERE and post back the requested logs in our Malware Removal and Spyware Removal forum.

If you have not recieved a response after 3 days then start a new thread in our Waiting Room with a link to the original topic, a brief description of the problem and the date of the original post.

Powers

Powers

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I have the same problem on both my work and home PC, all of a sudden and for no reason at all loads of new tabs start opening up, they are blank pages at first and then once they have loaded they are just the original page I’ve opened up (but hundreds of them). I often find this happens on Facebook, Google mail and linked in.

I don’t think its spyware as they the pages that are opening are just the one I have opened up.

kbrownst

kbrownst

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Has this issue been resolved? Im having the same issue. Only its happening in IE and also from within AOL. it will open IE and go to the page I was trying to browse in aol and keep opening up tab after tab and after a few tabs a blank page tab opens then it goes back to opening up the page I was trying to browse. Whats interesting after closing it with Task Manager after a few seconds IE will reopen on its own and continue where it left off. This is maddening.

Thanks!!!

TaoJ

TaoJ

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, been having the same problem, but only at specific times. Basically, when posting on a forum, if I close the browser window on the "view your submitted message" screen after submitting a post, hundreds of new browser windows open. It doesn't happen at any other time, and if I navigate to a different website/page it doesn't happen, only when trying to close the window. I'd be really interested to know what's causing this, because it's a real pain.

Incidentally, hitting ctrl alt delete and logging off stops it in its tracks, then simply log back on again.

jelarv

jelarv

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm having the same problem. It's a real pain because it's tough to get the task manager open fast enough without IE covering it up with new windows. It could be a virus or malware but I always run programs to reduce this problem and don't go to questionble web sites (I haven't had a virus in over 10 years). If anyone has a solution please let me know. I'm going to upgrade to IE8 on the hopes that it goes away.

Bluegrasser

Bluegrasser

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Upgradeing to IE8 does not fix this. I have this happening to me on a Brand New (2 week old) computer. Driving me crazy. It comes and goes. Any help would be great or maybe it needs a MSfix ??

jelarv

jelarv

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks. I'm thinking about migrating to Chrome or Safari. I'm running a personal business on my PC and can't afford to lose data when IE takes over.

Bluegrasser

Bluegrasser

• Pip
  • 4 posts
^^ Bump ^^

maddawg1000

maddawg1000

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved?

I have the same problem but I don't want to run a system restore or anything or download any new programs if I don't have to...I don't want to do this because this doesnt make my computer run any worse or slower and doesnt really offer any problems outside of when it happens...its just really annoying...but once i stop it my computer is fine

also for anyone else reading this...if you run task manager through the ctrl alt del while this problem is happening...but go to the processes tab at the top instead of applications and scroll down to iexplore.exe it should be using like 200000k+ of memory, if you stop that then it will stop opening up the windows that way you wont have to restart your computer or log out or any of that

Bluegrasser

Bluegrasser

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved?

Not yet ...

This is when it happens to me ..... (from what I can tell)

I open IE to my homepage (http://www.google.com/ig) and decide I want to go somewhere else so I close it before the page finishes loading .... and low and behold it starts .... IE opens as many new windows as it can before I close em.

crlin

crlin

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm assuming this has not been resolved yet?? It only happens to me when I try to close a blog page down. Seems to be happening more and more!!

topgoon

topgoon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having the same problem. Actually, I had it back when I was running Windows XP. Now I'm running Vista 64-Bit on a new computer, but the problem still exists.

I don't think it's IE. I've had the same thing happen with Google Chrome.

I don't get to check this board very often.

Thanks

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
topgoon,

You have a better chance of getting help if you start your own topic, rather than adding to someone else's. In addition, if you'd like to be notified when your topic is replied to, in the upper right corner click on Options, then choose Track this topic, and choose Immediate Email Notification. You'll receive an email when someone replies. Posting your email address on a forum such as this leaves you open to receiving more spam than you would ever want.