Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Processes

• Please log in to reply

TanBrae

TanBrae

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all! Thanks for this great forum! I discovered it a year or so ago, but never used it... until now.

I recently bought a new computer with Vista (ugh, not liking it much so far!) as the op. system. Today, my computer has been acting up a bit - kind of sluggish, especially on the 'Net. Not sure if it's my mouse (wireless that came with the computer. Just changed the battery because it kept freezing up on me, but it's still acting a bit sluggish), or if I have a bug or what.

So, I'm on the 'Net and tried to open a PDF file. That froze and gave me an error message saying that the program was not responding. It closed Firefox. I re-opened Firefox to the same session and the same thing happened.

After re-opening Firefox, the computer started acting even more sluggish, so I opened Task Manager and checked the processes. There are several processes I am not familiar with:
BeepApp.exe *32
PictureMover.exe *32
TSMAgent.exe *32
WkCalRem.exe *32
WkUFind.exe *32 (which, recently, this comes up every time I start the computer)

I use Kaspersky as my antivirus program (not having much fun with that, either - don't understand it, and the help section is definately NOT helpful!) and keep it updated.

Do I need to worry about these processes? Should I do a Trend Micro scan? Suggestions???

I really liked my XP computer and the free AVG, but got hit by lightning during an online test (going back to college - the tests were timed, and I was only about five minutes into it when a storm came up and WHAM! Can you say, "VERY DISAPPOINTED"?! Fried my modem and hard drive.) and had to buy a new PC. So, still learning Vista and all its "things". :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
PictureMover.exe - Snapfish PictureMover
tsmagent.exe - CyberLink PowerCinema Resident Program
WkCalRem.exe - Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders
wkufind.exe - MS Works Updater

BeepApp.exe looks suspicious to me.

TanBrae

TanBrae

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks. I realize what the processes are, but are they necessary? I mean, all but the BeepApp? I don't use Snapfish. Haven't used PictureMover, and not sure I will. Probably won't use Works Calendar Reminder, either. Wish MS wouldn't add all that!

Any way, do I just leave them, or is it safe to shut them off?

I haven't found much about BeepApp after doing a Google search. Anybody else know about this and what it is?

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
I'd disable all of them as they don't seem to be necessary for you. As for the BeepApp, I'd suggest posting over in the Malware forums to see if there's an issue with it: http://www.geekstogo...emoval-f37.html

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yeah, go to malware forum, and on a side note, the best place to find out about necessary services is here: http://www.blackvipe.../servicecfg.htm
Check your services against his "Safe" column.
If any doubt, leave the service alone.
If not found, Google it.

TanBrae

TanBrae

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks! That is a great site, and I'll take the time to read it through before doing anything else with the processes. I appreciate your response!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're very welcome :)