Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help my LAN setup

• Please log in to reply

ErockTX

ErockTX

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Trying to install a new router and i ran into a few headaches. I had a kid that i knew reformat it a while ago and i am pretty sure he didnt do anything worth a darn to it because it pretty much is back to crap and worse.

Upon trying the setup CD i realized that the kid never installed any drivers for my modem or the local area connection. I did some looking and downloaded and installed them off of the acer site. so now all drivers are up to date, ive got my little icon by the clock, and when i plug the cable directly into the laptop from the cable modem it just repeatedly switches on and off. within about 1 or 2 seconds it will go from either "limited or no connectivity" or "aquiring network address to" "a network cable is unplugged."

any ideas on what the heck is going on?

thanks

Edited by ErockTX, 02 June 2009 - 05:49 PM.

Advertisements

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Trying to install a new router and i ran into a few headaches. I had a kid that i knew reformat it a while ago and i am pretty sure he didnt do anything worth a darn to it because it pretty much is back to crap and worse.

Upon trying the setup CD i realized that the kid never installed any drivers for my modem or the local area connection. I did some looking and downloaded and installed them off of the acer site. so now all drivers are up to date, ive got my little icon by the clock, and when i plug the cable directly into the laptop from the cable modem it just repeatedly switches on and off. within about 1 or 2 seconds it will go from either "limited or no connectivity" or "aquiring network address to" "a network cable is unplugged."

any ideas on what the heck is going on?

thanks

Hi There

check the tcp / ip settings. you can do this by typing ipconfig at command prompt. also check whether your adaptor is setup to recieve an ip address automatically. could be that your friend has entered some strange ip settings in there. hence the "limited connectivity" icon.

regards