Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittent Boot Hang After POST

• Please log in to reply

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

That looks like a good mobo, but discontinued.
Eager to see the Prime95 results. :)

Advertisements

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Just a random thought... did you ever disable the onboard video while your video card was installed? Cause i've seen that setup cause issues in the past.

Edited by Ectech, 15 June 2009 - 08:55 PM.

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Just a random thought... did you ever disable the onboard video while your video card was installed? Cause i've seen that setup cause issues in the past.

Yes sir, same problem.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
So, did you disable onboard video when you used your discrete video card?

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

So, did you disable onboard video when you used your discrete video card?

Yes, on board video was disabled while my video card was installed and problem was still happening.

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Welp, re-installed my graphics card again and have been running Prime95 for about an hour now and no problems yet. Strange..last time it detected a problem within about ten min on TWO different tests, now its running for an hour with no reported problems..? hmm go figure. Il continue to let it run through out the night and update you guyz manyanna!

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
And o wow i finally got a reply from someone on tomshardware.com (where i originally tried getting help for this problem). I promplty replied back to them and thought i would share, hah!

Hey thanks for the suggestions. But unfortunately, due to the lack-of/ delay-of responses on this site I chose to go with another tech support site, geekstogo.com----->

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Int [...] 42040.html

So if anyone wants to read further on this issue please go there. Also, if anyone else is experiencing late replies on this site or no replies at all try geekstogo.com and usually you'l get a reply within about 30 min to an hour.

Peace and luv

~l0stb0y760

Sorry tomshardware ;p

lol @ tomshardware.com

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

And o wow i finally got a reply from someone on tomshardware.com (where i originally tried getting help for this problem). I promplty replied back to them and thought i would share, hah!

Hey thanks for the suggestions. But unfortunately, due to the lack-of/ delay-of responses on this site I chose to go with another tech support site, geekstogo.com----->

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Int [...] 42040.html

So if anyone wants to read further on this issue please go there. Also, if anyone else is experiencing late replies on this site or no replies at all try geekstogo.com and usually you'l get a reply within about 30 min to an hour.

Peace and luv

~l0stb0y760

Sorry tomshardware ;p

lol @ tomshardware.com

''Well hey l0stb0y thats a little off subject''.

Hey theres nothing wrong with a little entertainment once in a while right? lol

Edited by l0stb0y760, 16 June 2009 - 01:04 AM.

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Checked Prime95 this morning and still didnt report any errors.. ;\ *sigh I gues my computer found out i was trying to isolate a problem so now its hiding it.

Edited by l0stb0y760, 16 June 2009 - 10:49 AM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Ok.
Your hard drive and memory seems to be in working condition.
Since you replaced your PSU, that can't be the problem.
The video card is still in question.

We have to make sure 100% that the BIOS is flashed to the latest version. Do this now: http://support.asus....mp;model=P5K-VM

You have come to the right forum. :)

Edited by edge2022, 16 June 2009 - 03:47 PM.

Advertisements

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hey edge,

I just flashed my BIOS the other day to see if that would help, so it should be the latest. I flashed it via the net through this utility that came with my Mobo disc, so it was pridy simple. Possibly since flashing my BIOS the problem has gone away which is why Prime95 is testing okay now..? Man i duno, I cant remember if I ran prime95 since flashing my BIOS or even if the problem returned since flashing my Bios. im getting lost here already. Perhaps thats why they call me l0st boy. Any how, i'm installing that new graphics card today and then ill just have to test drive my PC afterwards and see what happens. Of course let me know if you think of anything else...or anyone else for that matter, feel free to post, thanks again for the help gentleman

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I'm leaning towards that old card being your problem.

I agree with edge, you certainly have come to the right place.

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I got my fingerz crossed and im hoping that when i install my new graphics cards all my pc problems and heck even my life problems (why not), will magically dissapear for EVA! muah ahaha haaah aaah! haha..so well c :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Hope those problems go away, otherwise this problem will be a challenge to troubleshoot.
BTW... I really like the card you ordered.

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Well heres a quick update. Got my new video card installed, took it for a test drive on DOD and wow, runs great :) Been rebooting, trying to get the boot hang problem to come back but so far so good. Hopefully we can get this thread closed out with video card replacement as the solution. In time we will know ;] Ill keep you guyz posted.

~l0st