Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen, Windows XP Home Edition

• Please log in to reply

dil366b

dil366b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I inserted the original recovery cd that came with the pc, powered off and turned on again. The computer finally went into recovery console and displayed: press "r" for recovery. I press "r" and it begins the recovery. After waiting while it searches for recovery, pc displays Gateway logo, says please wait then it goes to Gateway start page, then black again and then to recovery again to press "r"? Problem now is that now it keeps going back to: press "r" for recovery? Any ideas how to resolve this problem? Thanks

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Run diagnostics on the hard drive so we can rule that out as an issue.

http://www.hitachigs...32_v415_b01.iso

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I was thinking of making a GRUB boot USB, and then copying the files from the RC.iso into the USB drive. Will that work happyrock?

I'm not sure but it may ....my current mobo and bios does not have the ability to boot from usb so I can't even test it...try here

Method 1 - Make your flash drive bootable using Bart's mkbt util:
http://www.nu2.nu/mkbt/ | Alt: mkbt20.zip

Put a bootable floppy disk in your A: drive or create one using Windows.
Download mkbt20.zip and unpack to to new temp folder you create.
Go to the temp folder.
Extract the bootsector from the bootable floppy disk. eg Open a DOS Window and go to the directory where you extracted MKBT. Type:

mkbt -c a: bootsect.bin

The boot sectors from the bootable floppy disk have just been saved to a file in the temp folder you created.

Format the flash drive in FAT or FAT16.

Copy the bootsector to the flash drive. Open a DOS Window and go to the folder where you extracted MKBT. Type:

mkbt -x bootsect.bin Z:

"Z" represents the flash drive drive Letter. So if your flash drive has another drive letter, then change the "Z" accordingly.

Now you can [grin] "should" be able to copy the utils you need to the pen drive.

but judging from dil366b's last post...it may well be a hard drive or ram issue

Edited by happyrock, 20 June 2009 - 12:31 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Might be hardware related, so run diagnostics just to make sure.

Thank you for the link happyrock, that should allow someone to boot off a USB drive into Windows Setup and then the Recovery Console.

HARD DRIVE ORDER <WDC WD2500JS-22M>

Appears to be a Western Digital HDD.
http://support.wdc.c...oad.asp?lang=en
Select your drive, and download the diagnostic for CD (.iso file)
Burn it to a disc using BurnCDCC: http://www.terabyteu...ee-software.htm

dil366b

dil366b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
The computer display reads: No operating system installed or partition corrupted. Press "r" to perform a full system recovery. Note: This option will install a recovery partition first, then restore the user partition.

After I press "r", display reads: Preparing Gateway System Recovery options showing a progress bar which completes ok.

Next display: Gateway logo with animated ..... Next display: Gateway, please wait. Next display is the Gateway start up page which lists F2, F10. Next, it goes back to press "r" to perform a full system recovery.

Gateway computers have a "D" drive where it contains recovery files. If the "D" is corrupted as the display states, how can I recover this data? I don't know if this is available on the recovery CD that came with the pc. Some websites claim that the recovery CD has commands that will recover the data? ex: fixboot, fixmbr, etc. I'm not sure if any of these commands pertain to this repair or which one to choose?

Gateway also suggests to disconnect all USB devices, printer, modem, router, etc., except keyboard and mouse pad. I will attempt to use the recovery cd again after disconnecting all USB devices. Not sure if I will have an internet connection after trying this step?

Thanks for all of your input, hope to see some more. I appreciate all input.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
We need to make sure that your hard drive is not the issue here. Please run the diagnostics we mentioned.

Thank you for making the behavior of your computer very clear to us; it really helps. By the recovery CD you mean the Windows CD or the RC.iso file you burned to a CD? Don't run any of those commands yet. Once we make sure that your HDD is physically ok then we can try doing some stuff in the Recovery Console.

dil366b

dil366b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the response. I agree, I would like to run a diagnostic to make sure the hard drive is ok. Is the link from diabillic ok to download for this procedure? I have never done this procedure before, so I'm not sure how to proceed? I am currently using a Vista Laptop. Is it safe to download to this computer? Do I save to my Desktop? Can I use Windows Media to burn to a CD? Is there a website that explanes the steps on this procedure. Also the RC I am using is the Gateway Windows XP Home Edition System Recovery CD/DVD that came with the computer. The backup recovery DVD I created doesn't work? I appreciate all of your help with this issue. Thank you very much! :)

dil366b

dil366b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I attempted to download the link with the Diagnostic tool from diabillic and the internet closed. Data Execution Prevention security feature which prevents damage to this computer. Perhaps I can download the tool at the library? Do they sell these at Best Buy? When the pc starts I don't hear any noise and all of the fans are running? Very confusing?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Can you please tell me the make and model of your computer.

dil366b

dil366b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
The computer I am having trouble with is a Gateway Model GX7018E, Windows XP Home Edition with updates SP3, including IE*. The computer I am using is a Gateway Model ML6721, Windows Vista SP2. Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Thank you for providing the info I needed.
Go here: http://support.wdc.c...s...=30&lang=en
Download the iso file. Burn it to a CD using BurnCDCC: http://www.terabyteu...ee-software.htm

Boot from the disc and select your drive. Then run a quick test and tell me the results.

dil366b

dil366b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thank you very much for the information you provided. :) I followed the directions and downloaded the CDCC burn and the iso file. The Vista pc downloaded to the burn application already on the computer, Cyberlink Power To Go? It seemed to work?

I burned the iso file onto a DVD and inserted into DVD into the computer. I accepted the License agreement and click on on Quick Test. Display reads: Quick Test is not supported. However, Extended Test is ..... We recommend that you back up your data before proceeding. Hit "R" to run the test now. The website says some data loss may occur but safe to use.

Should I proceed with this recommendation? I will await your response on this matter? I really appreciate your knowledge on this issue. Thanks again. :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
From my knowledge, an extended test does basically the same thing as a chkdsk /r. That is to locate and restore bad sectors. There is a little chance that some data loss may occur. Do you have any important data you want to make sure is safe before we continue?

dil366b

dil366b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ran diagnostic, clicked Extended test-Screen display reads: Please contact Technical Support
Drive 0 @ Port 0X30C8 reported H Smart Error
Smart Attributes: ID Name Value Thresh Worst
.28 Unknown 199 0 199
All current and worst-case attributes are acceptable

Hit any key to continue....

Next display: The system must be reset-Hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE or Turn the Power Off

Will I be able to run recovery console next? Thanks for your response. :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
This could mean a bad hard disk or maybe filesystem.
Do you have data that you would like to recover before we try to fix this problem (assuming that the filesystem is the issue here)?