Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

boot.ini deleted at WinXP Pro boot [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Nope you should remove them all. OTC should have removed a lot of them, delete any left overs. Definitely not safe to keep them.

Advertisements

britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
I have a question about installing the Windows Recovery Console [waves hand].

Is there a "third way" other than the original CD or using the winnt32.exe that's
on hard disc?

The only winnt32.exe that I can find on my hard disc is in C:\I386 and it gives the same "You've got a newer version of windows" error that attempting to install from the WinXP CD that came with the machine.

I know that one of the tools I had to run (right now I can't recall which) tries to download/install Recovery Console, but I'd always get the "cannot be enumerated correctly" error.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Brian

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I am not sure, you would be better off posting in the Windows XP forum about that

britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Thanks, I'll do that.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.