Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Further study

• Please log in to reply

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to get some opinions about what kind of study i should be looking for in a computer related field after graduating from a community college's computer network technology program.

Mostly i am very good at figureing out what is wrong with computers.. especially hardware related. I have helped claen up several computer from malware (though i did use this site for many of those clean-ups). I love trying to figure out why a computer or program isnt working the way it should. Or even just how to get it working the way a certain individual wants it to work.

I am currently employed at a trucking company as their computer room tech. I do more than a tech would be given to do though. For example i do alot of administrative work including resetting passwords and making sure the servers are kept running smoothly. I work on a AS400 system as well again doing more administrative tasks. Of course I am not as fluent on the AS400 as i am on the windows side. Our servers are all linux based running windows virtual machines. We currently have about 20 servers (give or take a couple). I have done on-call work as well and have been employed there for 2 years. (some of which was co-op work while i was in community college)

I would love to open a side business that would consist of people bringing me their computers that dont work and me doing what i can to make them work. But my one dream job/course of study would be to get into the computer security side of things. Unfortunately the only campus offering that around where i live is ITT tech and they havent gotten that program up and running (new campus and dont have the student base to offer the program quite yet were their excuses).

Would anyone have an opinion on what kind of classes i should be loking at? Am I looking at more of computer science or engineering or what? Are there real world jobs consisting of simple system maintenence(ones that pay $20-30k anyways)?

Much Thanks for any replies!

Advertisements

Blottedisk

Blottedisk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 124 posts
Hello SomeCrazyStuff

As I´m from Argentina, I cant give you any advice on wich carrer you should take there in your city, or even in your country. Still, there´re some international certifications you may interest in. Regarding to Computer Security, ISC2 is a well recogniced institution that provides you with different tipe of certifications according to your interests, wich are acredditd by ANSI/ISO/IEC standards. Take a look:

http://www.isc2.org/

Blottedisk

Edited by Blottedisk, 13 July 2009 - 01:54 AM.

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Thanks for that info. I will go look into some of that right now :)