Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Home Edition - Hal.dll missing.

• Please log in to reply

LittleWerido

LittleWerido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It's Done. RESULTS:

58564956 kilobytes total disk space.
11770592 kilobytes are available.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
14641239 total allocation units on disk.
2942648 allocations units available on disk.

I haven't left the console - do you want me to restart and try to login?

Edit: I'm just going to go ahead and try to login and perform chkdsk /f /r in the XP command prompt.
Edit2: Chkdsk /r failed to get me past the hal.dll error.. I'm running out of patience, and I'm thinking of a format of the hard drive.

Edited by LittleWerido, 16 July 2009 - 08:05 PM.

Advertisements

LittleWerido

LittleWerido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I've gotta go for now, but if there is anything else I can do, please post it here and I'll try it tomorrow.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hmm.. it's unfortunate it has to come to that. If you have a flash drive or something, you could download the dll file from here. Then move it to the right spot in windows.. Kind of difficult without being able to log in.. Live Cd of another OS??...

Running out of ideas..

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
I'll keep thinking and let you know. :)

LittleWerido

LittleWerido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hmm.. it's unfortunate it has to come to that. If you have a flash drive or something, you could download the dll file from here. Then move it to the right spot in windows.. Kind of difficult without being able to log in.. Live Cd of another OS??...

Running out of ideas..

How exactly would I put the .dll into my computer using the flash drive?

Also, how can I make a live CD of another OS? Or maybe an OS in the flashdrive itself? I dunno.. I'm downloading that file into my flash drive but I don't know what to do from there.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Knoppix is a very good Linux live CD I use it sometimes. It will allow you to access the windows drive and copy over the hall.dll from there

LittleWerido

LittleWerido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Knoppix is a very good Linux live CD I use it sometimes. It will allow you to access the windows drive and copy over the hall.dll from there

Thanks, I'll try that..

How exactly would I burn it though?

LittleWerido

LittleWerido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I've burned the Knoppix disk, and I'm actually starting it on my computer. Hopefully it works.. Then, I'll find out how exactly how to replace my hal.dll file.

Knoppix is actually starting up right now, and I'm on it's desktop thingy.. I think it's going to work..

Edit: Holy.. of all the things that could happen.. Knoppix keeps giving me the error that I cannot delete, replace or do anything to hal.dll. I haven't tried anything else because I don't know what could happen if I delete it. The thing is, I can copy hal.dll but I can't delete or replace the file.. I'm totally at a loss right now.. I'm backing up some important data, I figure I probably have to format the disk.

Edit2: Weird.. I believe boot.ini exists in the root of the operating system..? In Knoppix, I cannot find boot.ini in /media/sda2 (my hard drive).. Is there anyway to fix this? I think this has been my problem all along. (Like, make a new boot.ini.)

Edited by LittleWerido, 17 July 2009 - 04:04 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Reason for edit: Duplicate

Edited by rshaffer61, 17 July 2009 - 04:18 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
mind if I jump in here... :)
for starters when you run chkdsk with the r switch ...f and p are implied...
this my canned
go here..download the following file: rc.iso....then run chkdsk /r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

boot from the rc.iso cd....
when you boot from rc.iso you will get a blue screen and it will say setup is loading files...
then it will say its starting windows...
you will get to a screen that says ...do you want to install windows or 2nd choice it to repair windows..
press r to repair...you will get to a ...C:\>.......this is where you type in chkdsk /r

type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

While chkdsk is running, you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete...it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...
nojoy...
boot from the cd again...
then type fixmbr press enter...reboot
no joy ....boot from the cd again...
type in fixboot press enter...reboot
nojoy...boot from the cd again...

Type in bootcfg /scan and press Enter

if it says total identified window installs: 1

Type in bootcfg /rebuild and press Enter...

It will identify your XP installation...type Y once you see this prompt.

You will be prompted to enter the load identifier...type in Microsoft XP Home Edition or Microsoft XP Professional depending on whichever version you have...press enter

You will be prompted to enter the load options...type in /fastdetect and press Enter

Type in exit and press Enter

remove the cd

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
YESSSSS!!!!
I see we are on the same thought Happyrock..
:)

I like your suggestion better.

Edited by rshaffer61, 17 July 2009 - 04:18 PM.

LittleWerido

LittleWerido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'm good, I've used Roxio to make Knoppix, so I'm sure I can make that disk. Just a few questions:
Do I burn it like the Knoppix iso file? (Roxio>Burn Image)
This is different from the Windows Recovery Console in the OEM Windows XP Home Edition, right?

Edit: Took out the first stuff and I'm considering downloading that CDCC burner.

Edited by LittleWerido, 17 July 2009 - 04:34 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since you are answering a post directly there is no need to quote. It just makes it harder to get to your answer. :)

LittleWerido

LittleWerido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Okay, sorry. Won't do it again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem, it just is easier instead of scrolling through it all.
:) :)