Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repeatedly Dropping Wireless Connection

• Please log in to reply

SoldiersGirl09

SoldiersGirl09

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi!! For some reason, my wireless internet randomly decided not to work any longer a few weeks ago after two years of no problems. When I wasn't connected through a wire, I had no connection. Thinking it was a problem with the router, I recently bought a new Netgear router and had it set up yesterday. Now, though, when my laptop is not connected to the internet through a wire, it repeatedly drops the wireless connection. Sometimes it drops after a few minutes, other times it drops after an hour or so. In addition, sometimes it will say that there are no other networks to connect to, while other times my network will show with an "excellent" signal, but when I go to connect, it fails. I've tried rebooting my computer, router, and modem to no avail, and I also checked to make sure that all the hardware in my laptop (wireless card, etc) was functioning properly and was updated, and it's all properly functional and updated. Also, I found that I can connect wirelessly from my house to the internet set up at my friend's house across the street without any problem, so I know it's not an issue with my laptop or its hardware. I've been searching the internet all day for any solutions and found nothing pertaining to my specific situation, so I'm reaching the point of hopelessness (coupled with extreme frustration) haha Can anyone help, please?

Operating System: Windows Vista

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi SoldiersGirl09 and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Since you were able to connect ok at your friends house, that eliminates the laptop.

Can you plug your modem directly in to the laptop and therefore bypass the router?
Does this help?
What are the results?

While in this configuration, unplug the power to the modem. Plug it back in and wait for it to do its tests.
Try it out. Do not connect the router up yet.
We want to see if it will work with just the modem.
What are the results?

123runner