Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A Difficult Infection to Remove - Request Help [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK then enter recovery console and type the following

cd erdnt\subs
enter
batch erdnt.con
enter
exit
enter

Windows should now start to reload

Advertisements

Michelle1123

Michelle1123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
The last two steps required the Windows CD which I did not have. I later borrowed the media from a friend and tried and the commands worked. However the system did not recover. As you said, it was probably something Avira did.

I had luckily taken a back-up when the system had recovered earlier and so just decided to junk XP and move to ubuntu!

It has been 2 days and it has been working fine.

I would like to thank you for all the help which was very very helpful to bring the system back to a point where I was able to recover all data and start afresh. The deletion of some files is still a mystery but I just decided to cross over and see what the world looks on the other side .. and as of now I am enjoying every bit of having a virus-free Linux based desktop.

Thanks again for your time and efforts to help me. Was very useful and appreciate it.

Michelleun

Edited by Michelle1123, 12 August 2009 - 12:01 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
My pleasure - who knows you may like Linux - enjoy

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.