Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accounts

• Please log in to reply

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I have a a Dell LapTop Inspiron 1545
Have set up an Administative Account and a Standard (user) Account

How do I get both accounts to appear on the welcome screen when at times I need to use administrator priviledges over the standard account use.

Right now all that shows is the Administrative Account. It was my understanding that one should not use this account for normal usage only when special admin. privileges are neceassdary.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Nothing to worry.
In Vista, REAL Administrator account is hidden, so you're not going to mess anything up.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I do worry however. Am running ito things I want or need to do and I get the message I must have admin account priviledges.

A small screen comes up which asks for another account password. I have created only one account on this laptop and have never seen the admin. acct. so am stuck. ANY changes I even want to make to my user account I cannot do because this small screen keeps coming up asking for permission for continued activity - and asks for a password. I have no password for this nor know why I need one. Have no idea what the hidden admin. account is at all. help help.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I either have done something very amiss or there is something wrong re my accounts. I am getting blocked on doing anything much now because of getting this little window that asks if program should continue and also asks for a password.

In desperation I have typed every kind of password I can think of that I have used on this laptop and none is functioning. I can't even change anything re my user account but for this window.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Unfortunately, it's against board rules to help with password issues.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I can understand that. Are you allowed to direct me to where I can go do get help OR can you tell me what I did that brings up the user account control window ALL the time. I can do nothing in the section of user accounts because I keep getting this window asking for an account I know nothing about.

And if you cannot - I can understand. Thanks so much for all the help you have given to date. :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Did you try to start it in safe mode?

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
No I have not, will give it a try. It is to the point now I cannot do anything on my PC because of this problem - wondering if I can even do that but will try.

I may have to take the PC to a tech. Just when I thought I was being so careful about wandering around and trying to find out about Vista. To have this happen is so annoying and maks me angry with myself that I must have slipped up somewhere and clicked the wrong button:(

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Tried the safe mode and got the same result - an account asking for a password. Finally gave up and took PC to a tech. Even they could not figure out what was going on! They finally had to format the hard drive and start over!

Do not know what or whom to believe re the situation. Cannot think that Vista is that touchy, tempermental or difficult to work with. Yet I am not a complete novice re PC use nor do I think I am irresponsible in its use. Have worked with User Accounts on XP with no problem. Made new accounts for when grandchildren came to visit, have changed my password, picture and even my name I think when using XP.

Yet the tech said it all originated in the user account file and had to do with a password. Hard for me to understand why a sharp tech could not handle this problem without wiping the hard drive. He at first suggested staying out of the user accounts and when I acquainted him with my use of it with XP, he then said well we will put the hidden system admin acct. on with NO PASSWORD and a user admin. account again with no password - then you should have no problem.

Creating an account with a password takes some amount of doing not just a mistaken click of a button so STILL do not understand what really happened or why a tech could not correct same without wiping the hard drive.

Anyway back on and carrying on - but with a jaded mouse and watchful keyboard:) Just wish I knew more technically about a PC so I could make more of an educated call when a situation arises on my PC.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm sorry to hear about all your troubles, and honestly, I have no idea why anything like this happened.
Surely, I don't have all details of what you did, but since you're familiar with computer world, I have to tell you, weird thing happen with computers.
I'm glad, all is well, and I hope, you didn't lose any valuable data.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I do not think I lost any data because all of my stuff is on my desktop and that hard drive did not go down, just the motherboard.

Well, if weird things happen I will forever be uneasy now about doing things on my PC:) but at least up and running. Thanks for following this thread and for helping me at least not to feel alone during the PC troubles. Carrying on from here.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)