Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Infected with Win32/Cryptor virus, How do I remove it? [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
You managed to download ComboFix before but it wouldn't run. Hopefully I have that right.

Try this one and see whether it will work.

Download Combofix from either of the links below. You must rename it before saving it. Save it to your desktop.

Link 1
Link 2

Posted Image

Posted Image
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools.

Double click on Combo-Fix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  • Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt for review.

Advertisements

LaVondra

LaVondra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
No I was never able to download combofix because the browser window freezes up as soon as I click the link. It just did the same thing when I tried these two links you just posted.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello LaVondra,

Seeing we can't run the tools we want to let's see if we can get some information another way.

Please run the following batch file:

Look.bat

• Open Notepad by clicking Start>Run, type in Notepad then click OK
  • Copy the contents of the Code Box below to Notepad
  • Name the file as Look.bat
  • Change the Save as Type to All Files
  • Save the file to your Desktop

@ECHO OFF
DIR /a/s C:\WINDOWS\scecli.dll C:\WINDOWS\netlogon.dll C:\WINDOWS\ntelogon.dll >Log.txt
START Log.txt
DEL %0

Double click on the Look.bat. A window will open and close. This is normal.
It will produce log file named log.txt on your desktop. Post the contents of the file in your next reply.

LaVondra

LaVondra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok this computer is so messed up I can't even save anything and I tried all night! I was able to pull up notepad and paste the code into notepad but when I click on save as or save it freezes up again! This virus has really messed me up!

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello LaVondra,

This virus has really messed me up!

There is a new infection out there that stops programs working, interferes with and stops most of our tools and messes up machines in a big way.

The symptoms your computer are showing are consistent with this beggar.

The batch we were trying to run at my last post might of helped us confirm if it was that infection and also give us some limited information about some files it often attacks.

Unfortunately there are some variations that can't be beaten and the only solution is reformat.

There are a couple more options we can try though.

This is another way to look for that same information we were seeking.

See if you can download Win32kDiag.exe to your Desktop.

Double-click to run it.

A log should appear when it is finished.

Copy and paste back here.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
I should have added.

If you can't copy and paste maybe you could write the information down and post it back here. :)

LaVondra

LaVondra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ok I tried that one and it still won't allow me to download it. What happens is when I click the link that you provided, I get the hourglass like the computer is about to do something but then all it does is freeze up and say not responding and I have to ctrl Alt delete to pull up task manager to close the internet browser and open a new one! Good thing I have this site bookmarked! Would it be smart for me to just reformat or is that even something I can do myself? I do have everything backed up on an online storage with Norton.

LaVondra

LaVondra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
And I'm so sorry for my manners :) , what is your name or do you just go by your screen name?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hi LaVondra,

And I'm so sorry for my manners sad.gif , what is your name or do you just go by your screen name?

Don't worry. I just use my screen name on the forums but I don't mind if you don't use it. :)

I do have everything backed up on an online storage with Norton.

Well done. :)

There are other things we can try but even if we get you going we can't be sure we have got rid of the infection.

If I were in your shoes I would go for a reformat and clean re-install.

Go to WindowsXP Clean Install for instructions how to format and reinstall Windows.

Alternatively you could try a rescue option that Avira has and I can give you instructions for. I don't know if it will work or not. Up to you. :)

Let me know what you decide.

LaVondra

LaVondra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Can I try the rescue option first and if it doesn't work then can I reformat?
Reformatting isn't hard is it?

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello LaVondra,

Reformatting isn't hard is it?

I have done it a couple of times. Not hard, but it does take quite a bit of time I found.

Most the time was spent afterward actually updating drivers etc. and loading all the programs I like.

Now here are the instructions for the Avira option. Note: you will need to download and burn this CD on another machine that is not infected.

Download the Avira AntiVir Rescue System from here: http://www.free-av.c...cue_system.html

• Run rescue_system-common-en.exe, and insert a blank CD into your CD Writeable drive.
  • Select your CD Writable drive and press the Burn CD button. The burning process should be pretty quick.

Next

• Insert your newly burned CD into your infected computer, and restart. When a list of options appears, type 1 to boot into the CD.
  • A linux kernel will load, and Avira's Rescue CD will start automatically.
  • If you see everything in German, click on the UK flag near the bottom left to change it to English.
  • Click on the Configuration button.
  • Ensure under Scan Mode that Scan all files is selected.
  • Ensure under Action at malware discovery that Try to repair infected files is selected, as well as Rename files, if the cannot be removed?
  • Click on the Virus Scanner button, and press Start Scanner.
  • Avira AntiVir Rescue CD will now scan your computer. The scan may take a while.
  • When the scan finishes, reboot your computer. If your CD is still in, it will ask you what you want to load. Type 2 to boot into your computer.
  • When you are booted up, you're computer should run a little smoother (a few errors may appear though). Run OTL and post a new log here.

Also

You may find that you have to set your infected computer to boot from a CD. Here are some instructions for that if you need them.

To set your computer BIOS to boot from a CD

1. Restart your computer. Watch the start-up instructions that are displayed on-screen.

A message will be displayed instructing you to press a named key (often F2, F12, or Delete) to go into settings/setup/configuration. (The key and the message will vary according to the type of computer that you are running.)

Press this key to enter the BIOS setup mode.

(If your computer is particularly fast, it may remove the message before you have the chance to press the key; in this case, try pressing the key once a second, starting the moment you reboot.)

Some examples:
  • On a Dell computer, you should hit F2 to enter the BIOS.
  • Other computers may require you to hit the DEL (Delete) button to enter the BIOS.
  • On newer computers, you may be able to hit F12 to select a temporary boot device rather than changing the permanent boot sequence in the BIOS itself. If your computer offers this option, simply select the CD or DVD drive containing the antivirus CD as your temporary boot device, and skip steps 2 and 3.
2. In the BIOS window, find the area that controls the boot sequence and rearrange the list of devices so that your CD or DVD drive is checked before your hard drive.
For most situations, a suitable sequence is:
1. A (Floppy)
2. CDROM (or DVDROM)
3. HD1 (or C).
If your drives are listed in this order, then when you keep the CD in your CD or DVD drive during a reboot, your computer will be told to run and check for viruses on your system. (If the hard drive is listed earlier than the CD drive, your computer will not detect the CDs presence and will simply boot into Windows.)

3. Save the settings and exit.

4. When your computer reboots, it will check the CD or DVD drive containing the disk before it checks the hard drive.

Thanks to Cities site University of Illinois for these instructions

LaVondra

LaVondra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok I will try this option first but it will be a few days because I will have to go to my parents house this weekend to burn the CD. But I will stay in touch with you in case I have any questions and to keep you updated so that my topic doesn't get closed! :) Thanks so much for your patients and help! Goodnight!

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Thanks so much for your patients and help! Goodnight!

Your most welcome.

I will keep this topic open.

Very best of luck. :)

LaVondra

LaVondra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello again! Hope you had a wonderful weekend! Well I tried the cd but it was unsuccessful so I'm going to go ahead and reformat! I just want to make sure I have all of the things I need. Do you by chance know which CD's are needed when you reformat Window's XP? I'm nervous because I've never done this and I don't want to mess anything up! Thanks again! :)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hi LaVondra,

Go here for an excellant step by step Reformat and install Windows guide

What I mention now is covered in the guide but might help as well:

When I reformat and reinstall my Windows I print off the pictures of the installation process and have them beside me in order. Remember you will be off line until you reinstall your internet connection programs and get your browser working. It is helpful if you have access to another computer that you can go on line with and catch up on something you might have missed.

At some point you will need to install some anti-malware protection, firstly an anti-virus. In my case it's Avira.

Here are a couple to choose from (these are also free for personal use):
  • Avast
  • AVIRA Note: AVIRA free comes with adware that promotes their paid for version each time it updates.
I like Avira but some people find the pop up advertisements each time it updates a bit trying.

Next I also install a firewall:

Choose one of these good firewalls free for personal use:

• Comodo Note:Comodo Firewall is no longer available as a stand-alone download and you should choose firewall only during installation.
  • PC Tools Firewall Plus

When it comes to a browser (Internet Explorer will already be there - it comes with the Windows Installation) I download Firefox, install it as my default browser and add the bookmarks that I frequently use. At that point I download the latest version of Java, acrobat reader and adobe flash player.

Adobe Acrobat Reader

http://www.adobe.com.../readstep2.html

Java

Adobe Flash Player

http://get.adobe.com.../?promoid=DXLUJ

After that it is really a matter of the programs you have had and want to keep on your computer.

For example I have Microsoft Office on my computer. That is loaded with a separate disk after you are up and running. I also have Microsoft Money. Again this is another disk which is loaded after you have installed you operating system.

One thing you might consider is opening a topic in the XP Operating Systems Forum here and seeking their help to guide you through the process. I am not a techie and really, beyond some basics, I am not the best person to tell you how to proceed.

If you go there, tell them you have been here and explain what you want to do.