Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista Ultimate x64 'hangs' without a reason

• Please log in to reply

Zantetsuken

Zantetsuken

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello everybody!

First of all, I'd like to thank you in advance for reading. I've been reading this forum for a time, and it really helped me solve a lot of problems I've ran into in my computer, and other's. Second, I am not English native, so my writing might be a bit off, please bear with me if I make a mistake in my wrtiing. Any correction will be gladly taken. :)

I'm a advanced user, self-taught as most of you, but this time I've met my match in a problem with my OS which I can't seem to find a solution for.

I've installed Windows Vista Ultimate x64, back in April, after a long debate with myself and colleagues about it's advantages. I've had this problem once, a week after installing this OS, but it dissapeared after some weeks. Now it's back, and it's been with me for more than a month, and I cannot, for the life of me, find a solution.

Let me explain:

My system works fine, apart from this one problem. I'm a gamer, so I always look up and try to squeeke every bit of performance from my rig, and I've been following the Vista Tweaking Companion guide posted at the TweakGuides website.

But sometimes, the system 'hangs'. What I mean with this? The OS doesn't freeze, it just stops responding. The cursor moves, and I'm able to click things, sometimes even close a program or two. But after a little while, the cursor changes to the Vista "Circling cursor", meaing it's busy, and I cannot open Task Manager, close a program, or anything. Any running program then dims itself, and I'm only able to restart from the restart button in the PC's case.
If it happens when I'm playing a game (very very rare), for instance, the game will keep running, but when it needs to load new info, it's stuck on the "Loading" screen. For instance, while playing Street Fighter IV, the fight runs normally, but when the fight finishes, when returning to the character select screen, it remains "Loading" forever, while when it's working normally I can barely see the Loading text, because it loads very fast.
What I find strange it's that once or twice it happened when I was talking through MSN's "Call a computer" feature. The system locked as previously described, but I was able to keep talking to the other person without problems. If I'm listening to music, the music will keep playing as well, but the computer hangs. I find it very, very odd.

For what I've investigated, it seems more likely the more time the computer has been on. That's why I've gotten into the habit of restarting it more frequently, but that shouldn't happen, and I got the problem from now on then as well. Plus, when I leave the computer idle, like for taking a bath or having dinner, there's a high chance that when I return it will be "hung" as described.

I humbly ask for help on the matter, becasue I cannot find the solution.

Here's what I've done already:
- Checked MSConfig to see invalid entries
- Runned CCleaner many times and cleared the Registery
- Defragmented the hard drive using Diskeeper software
- Optimized the registery using NT Registery Optimizer
- Ran MemTest 86 3.5 for 6+ hours, no errors on memory
- Used Microsoft's Autoruns to disable suspicious or invalid entries
- Uninstalled programs that might cause problems
- Reinstalled drivers, including network drivers
- Checked the EventLog to see a particular event error, none meaningful found
- Tried uusing ComboFix, but I've heard it won't work on x64 systems... :)

My system's specs:
AMD Athlon x2 4200+
2x 2GB OCZ Ram Platinum
nVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 512MB
MSI K9 Neo v3 motherboard
250 GB Western Digital HDD
500 GB Western Digital HDD
Sony DVD-R/RW

HiJackThis log:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 12:10:04 AM, on 4/14/2009
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Users\Tomás Hearne\Downloads\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [DevconDefaultDB] C:\Windows\system32\READREG /SILENT /FAIL=1 (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [DevconDefaultDB] C:\Windows\system32\READREG /SILENT /FAIL=1 (User 'Default user')
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xportar a Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~2\Microsoft Office\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @dfsrres.dll,-101 (DFSR) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\DFSR.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Diskeeper Corporation - C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
O23 - Service: ESET HTTP Server (EhttpSrv) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\EHttpSrv.exe
O23 - Service: ESET Service (ekrn) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\x86\ekrn.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Performance Service (nTuneService) - NVIDIA - C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\SLsvc.exe,-101 (slsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\SLsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Print Spooler (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 5631 bytes

DXDiag.txt attached.

If you require additional info, I'd be more than happy to provide it.

Thanks in advance, for struggling to understand my English, and for reading this post!

I'm really looking forward to an answer.

Tomas "Zantetsuken"

Attached Files

Edited by Zantetsuken, 08 August 2009 - 12:33 PM.

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

Ok then a few things here.

Firstly a couple of lines I need to run over with you:

Runned CCleaner many times and cleared the Registery
Optimized the registery using NT Registery Optimizer

I need to make it clear that GeeksToGo do not advise the use of registry cleaners or optimizers. A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable. We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there. Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Tried uusing ComboFix, but I've heard it won't work on x64 systems.

Combofix should never be run without the help of a qualified malware removal instructor. It is a very powerful tool and in the wrong hands could render your system useless. Therefore you should not run it unless told to but someone who knows how to use the program efficiently.

Ok now I cannot offer any more advice regarding your HJT log. However I advise you read This Thread and then post a new topic in the Virus-Spyware-Trojan-Removal Forum. Make sure you link back to this thread os they can see the problems you are having and the advice given to act.

Then if its still crashing after their advice then post back to this thread and we can help you some more hopefully.

Also im sorry if my post seems unfair and unreasonable but these are very important points in the welfare of your system and its ongoing stability. :)

Zantetsuken

Zantetsuken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hi,

Ok then a few things here.

Firstly a couple of lines I need to run over with you:

Runned CCleaner many times and cleared the Registery
Optimized the registery using NT Registery Optimizer

I need to make it clear that GeeksToGo do not advise the use of registry cleaners or optimizers. A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable. We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there. Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

I check all the entries those programs delete (and only CCleaner deletes entries, the other one, which is made by the same people that made ERUNT, does not delete entries).
I've experienced improvements in performance using both of these, so I may disagree. Nevertheless, I will follow the instructions given on that thread, then post, then report back here.

Tried uusing ComboFix, but I've heard it won't work on x64 systems.

Combofix should never be run without the help of a qualified malware removal instructor. It is a very powerful tool and in the wrong hands could render your system useless. Therefore you should not run it unless told to but someone who knows how to use the program efficiently.

As I stated before, I am an advanced user, and I know the capabilities of such a program. But I mispelled, I didn't USE ComboFix, what I tried to say (please, bear with me as English is not my native tongue), is that, haven seen that ComboFix does not work on x64 systems, I didn't used it, just considered it.

Ok now I cannot offer any more advice regarding your HJT log. However I advise you read This Thread and then post a new topic in the Virus-Spyware-Trojan-Removal Forum. Make sure you link back to this thread os they can see the problems you are having and the advice given to act.

Then if its still crashing after their advice then post back to this thread and we can help you some more hopefully.

Also im sorry if my post seems unfair and unreasonable but these are very important points in the welfare of your system and its ongoing stability. :)

I hardly think it's a spyware, because I've run many checkers before, including some of the ones mentiones on that thread. Nevertheless, I will follow those instructions to the letter, then post on the Spyware thread, then here reporting back...

EDIT: Post made here. I couldn't follow some of the instructions, because some of the suggested programs don't run in x64 systems. (I'm starting to regret using a 64-bit OS....)

Anything to solve this thing.

Thanks for the answer, and again I apologize for my lack of English knowledge. And sorry if I soundeed (looked) rude.

Edited by Zantetsuken, 08 August 2009 - 11:50 PM.