Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows wont boot?!

• Please log in to reply

Lankan007

Lankan007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
alrite..thank you guys so much..i will do a follow up..the backup is taking forever

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
When installing 7 select the "custom installation" option to select which partition it is going to be installed on. Doing so lets the installer know you want to keep the XP partition and will fix the boot.ini on the XP drive accordingly

Lankan007

Lankan007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
umm i just realized that the hp recovery drive is fat32..how can i convert that in the xp installation

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
There are more than a couple tools available to you on the UBCD boot disk you can use to format this. However; when you install an OS you will always get the option to format before you install the OS. This is where you can choose to use NTFS.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Also, see HERE for instructions on how to partition from within XP

Lankan007

Lankan007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
just a follow up..i have successfully installed windows xp and windows 7..when i was first installing windows xp..it showed me that i only have a total of 149 GB of space..but my HDD is 160GB..which i didnt really understand..but anyways..i divided my HDD into 3..69.5GBx2..and 10GB..as for windows 7..im liking it:)..better than vista for sure..but i dont think it can beat XP performance wise..anyways..thanks everyone for their support