Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Xp error messages and more!

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The problem still is that nvidia video driver. I'm really beginning to think the card is having a problem.
You have the newest driver and yet still a problem.
I have requested some assistance from other TECHS and maybe they can see something I may have missed or another angle to try.

Advertisements

Sickness335

Sickness335

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ok thanks :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please do the following and let me know what the results are.

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y

If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

The problem still is that nvidia video driver. I'm really beginning to think the card is having a problem.
You have the newest driver and yet still a problem.

I agree...but I built about a half dozen systems based on the various flavors of that A8N mobo...had some real strange issues with ram and hard drives though...if you don't have another video card to try then I would remove 1 stick of ram and repeat the memtest... but run it for at least 4 hours...
HEADS UP... on any A8N mobo... if you are ever only going to use or test 1 stick of ram it has to be in the third slot labeled B1

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Happyrock for the insight on the MOBO.
I didn't realize the issue with the memtest.
IMHO I do believe we have a faulty Video Card and it needs to be replaced preferrably with something other then NVidia

Sickness335

Sickness335

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ok I did the Chkdsk /r thing. It didn't even take 5 minutes. It scanned it, and it didn't find anything wrong. I did the temp file cleaner, it deleted over 2000 files, and now I have 10.245 GB more space on my C: Drive. I installed the disk defrag, and it defragmented 14% of it.

That sounds like a good idea happyrock. I've had problems with my RAM sticks in the past, and had to get them replaced.

Sickness335

Sickness335

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

IMHO I do believe we have a faulty Video Card and it needs to be replaced preferrably with something other then NVidia

Ya thats what I've been thinking. Do you have any suggestions on a good video card? Oh and what does IMHO mean? Just wondering

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Ok I did the Chkdsk /r thing. It didn't even take 5 minutes

no way chkdsk /r will run in 5 minutes...unless your drive is only about 10 GIGS...
should take a couple of hours to complete
as for a AGP video card ...go here...the top one looks good...SAPPHIRE 100175L Radeon X1650PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card...got decent reviws...

Sickness335

Sickness335

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Lol my C: is only 19 GB. And which video card do you recommend? Sapphire?

Edited by Sickness335, 22 August 2009 - 10:08 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would say Happyrock is correct and any card other then Nvidia would be a step in the right direction.

Advertisements

Sickness335

Sickness335

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I've gone threw some of the cards on Newegg posted by happyrock... I'm not exactly good at choosing... Which one do you guys recommend for me? I play a lot of Games. Some old, some new, and I use the highest graphical features.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This card HERE is the card Happyrock suggest.
I have to agree with him that this would do exactly what you want and give you the capabilities for future use.
At 44.00 dollars after rebate it is a great card for the AGP Family of video cards.

Sickness335

Sickness335

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ya I agree, its something I need. I'll ask my dad if I can buy it. Thank you guys for all your help :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Here's a few more things you can try before buying a new video card:

Try increasing the GPU fan speed to 100% through the NVIDIA Control Panel:
  • Right-click on the desktop, and select NVIDIA Control Panel.
  • Then, select Device settings under the Performance heading.
  • Select the GPU tab from the top row of pictures.
  • Change the Geforce GPU (under the Cooling heading) to 100%.
If you still experience issues, you might want to try reinstalling NVIDIA drivers using a program that makes sure the old drivers are properly removed:

First, uninstall the NVIDIA drivers (if they are still installed) using Programs and Features. You can get to Programs and Features by clicking on the Start Button, then clicking on Control Panel. Then click Add or Remove Programs. Once in Add or Remove Programs, you need to find NVIDIA Drivers and click Change/Remove. (If you have an NVIDIA chipset, make sure the NVIDIA Display Driver checkbox is checked, then click Remove. Otherwise, just click Yes.)

Next, please download and install Driver Sweeper from here. (Click on the Download (Europe) link, then scroll down and click on I Agree.)

Then, boot the computer into safe mode. To do this,
  • Turn the computer on (or restart the computer if it is already on).
  • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  • Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
  • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in safe mode.
Next, open the program, Guru3D Driver Sweeper, that you just installed. Check the checkbox for cleaning NVIDIA - Display drivers. Then press the Clean button.

Reboot normally (not into safe mode), and then, download and install the drivers found here. (I'm having you install drivers that are a little bit older but are known to have less issues than the 190.xx series drivers.)

Reboot when prompted, and let us know if you still receive the error message.

If those suggestions don't fix the issue, you may have to get a new video card. If you're satisfied with the performance you're currently getting, then the video card that's been recommended is fine, since it offers basically the same performance. However, since you said you like playing new games on the highest graphical settings, you certainly would need a more powerful video card. One of the best AGP cards is this HD3850, but it is about $40 more expensive. You will also have to make sure your PSU can properly power it.