Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fixing registry after system recovery

• Please log in to reply

MaxMurder

MaxMurder

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hi.
Did a search for topics on system32 repair, but didn't find what I'm looking for specifically.

I have an HP Pavilion a450y.
It did not come with an XP disk, but has a partitioned hard drive with D: being the Recovery.
Recently I was attacked by a scareware program 'PC-Anti_Virus2010. It locked up my machine and Windows was unable to start after shut down. I hastily did a non-destructive system recovery (not knowing I could do a system restore).

After the recovery, all my files are intact, along with with my programs, but none of the programs open or run. My pc does not recognize the hardware I added on either such as my printer, my audio interface etc. My programs (installed after purchase) do not open or ask for installation discs. For example, I use Cubase and when I try to open it is says that file: SYNSOACC.DLL is missing. I imagine other missing utilities are the reason that my other programs fail to open. Even Windows updates do not install.

I assume this is because my registry was screwed up. Is there a way to fix this and get everything running again without doing a destructive recovery? The only thing that works for me right now is the internet. I even tried to install the driver disc for my audio interface and it won't install. I am guessing that this all has to do with a corrupt system32 folder(?) I have minimal computer knowledge as far as this stuff is concerned.

I hope I included everything.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
a non destructive restore probably didn't clear the virus you had

Please read the Malware/Spyware cleaning guide here follow the instructions at the top....

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post an OTL log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting OTL logs or ANY other logs requested in the malware/spyware cleaning guide in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post any of these logs in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread..

MaxMurder

MaxMurder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hi,
I got some help in the Malware/Spyware forums and my computer is clean. However I am still having some problems.
I have some programs that are not opening. Most of the errors I get upon trying to open the programs seem to involve missing personalization information and/or files.
Here are some examples with some selected programs:

For Cool Edit Pro 2: This system has not been configured correctly to run Cool Edit. Please run setup again.

For Adobe Photoshop Elements: Could not complete your request because of missing or invalid personalization information.

For some Macromedia programs: I simply get a page asking for name and serial number as if I was just installing it.

I have some of the original programs on disc, but not all of them, as I seem to have lost some. I've also gotten the Blue Screen of Death a few times with some errors which might be coming from my RAM and/or drivers (?). Here is the info that was included with the BSOD:

Error
BAD_POOL_CALLER
and this was the stop code:
STOP: 0x000000C2 (0X0000007, OXOOOOOCD4, 0X02040001, 0X81874508)

and another:
Error
BAD_POOL_CALLER
and this was the stop code:
STOP: 0x000000C2 (0X0000007, OXOOOOOCD4, 0X02040001, ox81d64040)

So I don't know if I have a corrupt drivers folder or what.
Any help would be super-appreciated!

MaxMurder

MaxMurder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
...and to make an addition to my last post, I just got another Blue Screen of Death :)
Here is the error:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Here is the stop code (I'm not sure if I copied it totally correctly)
0x000000d1 (0x0000008, 0x0000002, 0x0000000, 0xf8521d19

ohci 1394.sys-address f8521d19 base at f851f000 date stamp 480254fa

Computer Guy AJ

Computer Guy AJ

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I know this a bit pointless and I am not allowed to give actual instructions on this topic but have you tried googling the error codes? to see what the source of the problem is

MaxMurder

MaxMurder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I did google the BSOD error codes, but didn't seem to find a uniform answer, most frequently it looks like it could be caused by driver issues according to what I've seen(?)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the programs?

Are there any update patches for the programs?

Have you contacted the program support team and see if they have some answers for you?

MaxMurder

MaxMurder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I did uninstall and reinstall two of the programs. Some of the original discs to some of my programs I seem to have lost somewhere in the past couple of years.

I am starting to wonder if my ownerships have been altered. During the clean-up process, I had to switch permissions on, I believe either my C drive or my windows folders, or program folders (don't quite remember although I believe it was my windows folder that I had to change in order to get updates and download programs).

I went into Safe Mode to access my permissions and ownerships. The programs that are working have Owneras being the owner of the programs, while the ones that aren't working have Administratorsas being the owners. I'm unsure how to switch this. Under the options to change ownership are: Administrator and Administrators, but Owner was not listed as a selection.
I don't know if this is the problem or not.
hah...I hope I explained that correctly...
:)

...and no, I haven't looked for patches or contacted any program support teams yet, because I was hoping I had an issue with a common cause to these program problems that could be easily remedied.

Edited by MaxMurder, 22 October 2009 - 11:48 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try running chkdsk /r

If you do not have a windows xp disk, download the following file: rc.iso....go here..then run chkdsk /r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....when you get to the screen that gives you the option to install or repair ...select r...then when you get to the prompt...type in chkdsk /r..press enter

NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /
While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. or a black dos box depending on on which cd you use... a Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage....
there are 5 stages...it may appear to hang a a certain % for a hour or more...it even will sometimes go back over a area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT DOWN THE COMPUTER OR YOU CAN HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS...it can take a long time depending on how large the drive is...
You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer....

then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click on "my computer" and choose manage, then open "local users and groups" then open users, what's listed there? (you shouldn't see owner...you should see administrator, ASPnet, guest, and at least one more user)....one of those have a name that looks familiar? like your name, or one that doesn't look system generated?

you can feel free to list them here if you like

Advertisements

MaxMurder

MaxMurder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hi,
Sorry for the delay.

desenette,
Under Computer Management, I have the following options on the left:
Computer Management (Local)
System tools
Storage
Services and Applications

Where do I go to access "local users and groups" ?

MaxMurder

MaxMurder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
happyrock,
My HP did not come with an XP disc, instead I have a partitioned hard drive.
I tried to run chkdsk /r and get the following prompt:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\chkdsk.exe

The type of file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock the current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule the volume to be checked next time the system restarts?

I downloaded BURNCDCC and rc.iso. I burned rc.iso via BURNCDCC (I don't know what this is: memtest86.iso)I tried to boot my computer from the rc.iso disc I created. My computer seemed like it tried to boot from that disc, but the just started Windows normally.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry about they memtest reference...the canned speeches for memtest and rc.iso are similar ...I grabbed the wrong one...
when you get to this part say yes and reboot...

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule the volume to be checked next time the system restarts?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Hi,
Sorry for the delay.

desenette,
Under Computer Management, I have the following options on the left:
Computer Management (Local)
System tools
Storage
Services and Applications

Where do I go to access "local users and groups" ?

system tools

MaxMurder

MaxMurder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Under System Tools are:
Event Viewer
Shared Folders
Performance Logs and Alerts and
Device Manager