Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to repair Internet Explorer 6.0

• Please log in to reply

Diggity

Diggity

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Method 2 Worked For Me But I Did It A Little Different

Go To C:\Windows\inf\ie.inf Right Click And Click Install.
It Asks You To Find The I386 Folder. Put In Your Windows Xp Cd In Your Cd Rom (And It Has To Be The Os Version Your Using. You Can't Put
A Win Pro Cd In If Your Running Home) Now Hit Browse. Find The I386 Folder And Click Open. Then Click Ok. Things Will Install And Then
Another Window Will Pop Up. I Forget What It Asks You Next But You Do The Same Thing, Just Finding The Files On The Cd. The It Will Come
To A Pop-Up Asking For A File Called iedw.exe. This Won't Be On The Cd, You'll Have To Download It Off Limewire Or Another Program Like I
Did. After You Have That FIle You Then Click Browse And Locate It On Your Pc And Click Open Then Ok. The It Will Ask You For More Files. Not
Sure When But It I'll Ask You For A File Called mswrd632.wpc. You Can Find This On Your Computer Already. This Is Where You Go To Find It.
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\TextConv\mswrd632.wpc. Once You Find Is Click Open Again Then Ok. When Thats Done It Will Ask
You For One More File And Its Back In The Windows Cd. Your Going To Look For A File Called IEXPLORE.EX_ And The Click Open And Then Ok And
You Should Be Up And Running With Internet Exlpore

Advertisements

shirazahd

shirazahd

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
admin, pls help me,

after doing the method1 my laptop has become dead slow. Until then my laptop was working fine, pls help..

buknekkid407

buknekkid407

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I would like to try one of these methods as when i open IE it almost freezes my computer, and will not work. Theo nly problem is that we bought our computer from future shop and they installed everything, so im not sure if i have the disc or anything that i could use in place of the disc. Thank you in advance for the help.!!! :tazz:

specialk281

specialk281

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: My ie is v6 sp2 but when I go to a site that requires ie 5+ I continue to receive the error message to upgrade. I tried both of the methods that you posted. However, as you can tell, since I am asking for help they did not work. I have XP home with a Prof 2003 upgrade. Thank you for your time and share of knowledge.

One more thing I am currently experiencing freezing and occurances that the clicks are not being recongized. I normally am able to run everything needed, however, it will take way to long for a page to appear that is in the task bar once I click on it. Just a note I normally have word up and the internet, so I do know that it is not because of too many programs running at the same time, although the protection programs are never turned off. :) So in addition to repairing this freaking ie, I would love to fix the freezing and knock the [bleep] out of the clicking delay. My system is clean and defrag on a regular basis.

Please help.

Specialk281

Edited by specialk281, 28 November 2005 - 10:06 AM.

Diggity

Diggity

• Pip
  • 2 posts
what u mean prof 2003? have u tryed method 2 with both cds?

specialk281

specialk281

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Professional 2003, and yes I did try both cd's, but it kept asking for the Home OS. I say the Professional 2003 because a couple weeks ago my system crashed and had a hard time letting it allow me to restore. It would not reset the partition. Anyways, right before I was to take the shotgun to it, I got in. Then instead of downloading the Window programs from the Home cd I used the Professional cd's. Although when I go to system information it say XP Home. So maybe I know just enough to hurt myself, but not enough to fix the dern thing.

Zilpex

Zilpex

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi,

I tried your first method, but IE still gives me some errors after it.

I've tried to do the second one, and while installing some files, i got an error message that iedw.exe was not found on the Win CD.

IE still goes bananas. I would not care, if it wasn't for my family who uses IE.

Can you think of a way of getting that iedw.exe ?

Thanks,
kiz

This may be late, but

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iedw.exe

Dragoonus

Dragoonus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

Can somebody help me with my Internet Explorer
Something happened to my system that only lets one IE page be open at the time
when I open a new page the old one is closed automaticly... Could it be some sort of malware...?

Thanks

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
have you tried following the directions to repair IE?

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I downloaded bitcomet and a file from link removed, I opened the file using bitcomet and it says it's done downloading. I tried to copy the file to a DVD but I get an error everytime that says windows wasn't able to and asking me to retry. Now what do I do?

Edited by Kat, 28 December 2005 - 05:52 PM.

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

I downloaded bitcomet and a file from link removed, I opened the file using bitcomet and it says it's done downloading. I tried to copy the file to a DVD but I get an error everytime that says windows wasn't able to and asking me to retry. Now what do I do?

We do not advocate the use of p2p downloading, and we do not help with this type of problem anywhere on this site. The references made by a member named Diggity were removed just now. I'm sorry you followed their advice. We will not offer you help with a bad p2p download here, and we don't offer assistance to anyone who doesn't have a legal copy of Windows.

Dodevu

Dodevu

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Or a easier way, just get FireFox.

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Or a easier way, just get FireFox.

I did not want to say it myself... thankfully you went there for me :tazz:

Ronniebebe

Ronniebebe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm having some of the same problems.Gateway Media 830 GM XP Home
I've tried the first way and it asks for the XP Pro. disc. I don't have XP Pro

I have tried the second way and it scams and comes back asking for the XP Pro disc. Well I don't have XP Pro.

I did put the recovery disc in I made a 5 copy when I bought the computer in March/05....The disc comes on and shows some boxes...quite a few. But not being a brain I don't know what to do with the boxes. I would have to go through this 5 times.If this is the way to go.

Can someone tell me what to do when I put the disc's in and the boxes appear. What is happening is I'm missing some .dll files....Ron. :tazz:

arcadesdude

arcadesdude

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Another easy way to repair 'page cannot be displayed' when the ie files are ok is to run two apps:

IEFix.exe (reregisters core ie dlls) and
WinsockXPFix (fixes broken network stack)

Spyware likes to mess with the dlls and network stack which these two programs do a good job of 'repairing'